New to 3D Printing, couple of newbie questions!

SilverOranges

Jan 11, 2019, 8:04:09 PM1/11/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
So for black friday I picked up a flashforge creator pro, I saw online that it has a lot of aftermarket support, and its good for entry level stuff. I use it for simple functional items, and will be experimenting with some of the metal infused filament once I upgrade the nozzle. I have some awesome ideas for it, and also can't wait to get some conductive filament, because I tinker a lot with arduino and rpi stuff, and the ability to print simple circuits would be amazing. It is the main reason why I got the ffcp, so that I could use dual extruders in that manner. Also looking forward to trying the dissolvable support filament.

I have been printing tons of stuff, I am learning Solid Works, I had taken a class for it before but it was for an older version. I still know enough to do simple stuff. I also picked up about 20 spools of different filament on black friday from Maker Geeks, been varying the filament to see the differences.

I have successfully printed a 'suicide knob' for a forklift at my job, and it works great! I designed it from scratch, my first functional design and I am proud. It is actually way better than the ones on thingiverse as well, they are all very long and bulky and require different sized hardware. This one just needs 3 commonly sized machine screws and matching bolts. Of course I had to have big bold engraved letters saying "Johns Knob" on the steering knob xD

I used the software that came with it at first, then heard about simplify 3d. So I 'acquired it', decided it was worth the money, and purchased it. Works great, still learning all of the functions. I have been binge listening to the 3D Printing Today podcasts last couple of days at my job which is how I heard about this group. I love the podcasts by the way.

I have ran into some odd little cosmetic issues, the one I just noticed while printing with some 'Raptor Crystal PLA' filament, is that it seems to be creating a saw tooth like pattern on one section, then smoothing out again. What would cause this? I have a youtube vid demonstrating the issue linked below.

Also another, also minor issue, is that I have a seam going up a certain area on all of my prints. It seems to always be on the top left side if looking at the build plate straight down, from front. I THINK from what I have researched, that this is a stepping issue? I took some pictures, I hope you can see what I am talking about.

I will be upgrading the nozzle to a ruby nozzle, because I read somewhere that if you print metallic filament it will wear down the brass nozzle. Also I am getting an all metal hotend from micro swiss, as well as the machined lever/extruder plate from them as well. If anybody can suggest any other upgrades that would increase rigidity or the quality of the printer I would greatly appreciate it. I am not as interested in speed, more in accuracy since I don't print very large objects, mostly smaller parts. I know when adding mass to print head you have to slow it down a bit. I am currently modeling a window switch cap for a coworkers vehicle, he said he would pay me $50 for it since the factory wants to charge him a couple hundred, and junk yard doesn't have his car. Probably not worth the time I've put into modeling it, but its experience plus helping out a friend.

Anyway, glad to be here, if I can contribute in any manner I will try! I don't know much about 3D Printing yet but I have a lot of knowledge in other fields, namely computers, python, networking, micro controllers, things of that nature.

Thanks!

IMG_20190111_193726.jpg

IMG_20190111_193731.jpg

Kurt at VR-FX

Jan 11, 2019, 8:08:30 PM1/11/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com

Welcome Aboard!

So - how can Oranges be Silver?

As for your Seam issue - listen to the Very last or next to last 3DP Today podcast - as they speak about seams. I think is your problem. Its a common problem. So - check out that podcast.

-K-

On 1/11/2019 5:04 PM, SilverOranges wrote:
[...]

I will be upgrading the nozzle to a ruby nozzle, because I read somewhere that if you print metallic filament it will wear down the brass nozzle. Also I am getting an all metal hotend from micro swiss, as well as the machined lever/extruder plate from them as well. If anybody can suggest any other upgrades that would increase rigidity or the quality of the printer I would greatly appreciate it. I am as interested in speed, more in accuracy since I don't print very large objects, mostly smaller parts. I know when adding mass to print head you have to slow it down a bit. I am currently modeling a window switch cap for a coworkers vehicle, he said he would pay me $50 for it since the factory wants to charge him a couple hundred, and junk yard doesn't have his car. Probably not worth the time I've put into modeling it, but its experience plus helping out a friend.

Anyway, glad to be here, if I can contribute in any manner I will try! I don't know much about 3D Printing yet but I have a lot of knowledge in other fields, namely computers, python, networking, micro controllers, things of that nature.

Thanks!

IMG_20190111_193726.jpg

IMG_20190111_193731.jpg

Rich Webb

Jan 11, 2019, 10:12:47 PM1/11/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 8:04:09 PM UTC-5, SilverOranges wrote:

I have ran into some odd little cosmetic issues, the one I just noticed while printing with some 'Raptor Crystal PLA' filament, is that it seems to be creating a saw tooth like pattern on one section, then smoothing out again. What would cause this? I have a youtube vid demonstrating the issue linked below.

That is probably ringing from the direction change. It's not much, since the curved path mitigates that effect quite a bit. You can play with the acceleration settings in the firmware. Use RepG and refer to the Sailfish manual for the details.

Also another, also minor issue, is that I have a seam going up a certain area on all of my prints. It seems to always be on the top left side if looking at the build plate straight down, from front. I THINK from what I have researched, that this is a stepping issue? I took some pictures, I hope you can see what I am talking about.

Hard to tell from one picture but that may be a small gap where the new layer starts. Typical sequence is: retract, move to new layer, un-retract, start printing again. If there's a bit of ooze or a tiny thread of filament is pulled out during the retraction and movement (hard to avoid completely) then the un-retraction doesn't completely refill the nozzle. S3D has an "extra restart distance" for that. It's added on to the un-retract, that is if you retract 1mm of raw filament then it pushes 1mm plus the extra restart distance. The exact amount needed varies by filament, temperature, initial retraction distance, etc.

Petr Ptacek

Jan 14, 2019, 8:20:56 PM1/14/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
You can partially hide (dilute) the effect of staring and stopping by telling slicer to start every layer in some random point, not in the same spot every single time.

SilverOranges

Jan 16, 2019, 12:21:01 PM1/16/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Kurt, I was thinking of a less childish online name than my last one (thought of previous when I was 11yo playing Halo in middle school) and decided to pick two words that don't rhyme and sorta go together, and ended up with SilverOranges, 7 years later it seems to be working out. Unfortunately somebody took the Gmail name before me.

Thanks for the warm welcome, I plan on starting a project I've been wanting to do for a while now that it's slowed down at my job, I'll make a thread once I get everything designed out and a solid attack plan made. I think it would be of interest to a lot of people here.

I minimized the ringing by slowing it down, or it was the upgrade part I put on. I also fixed the seam by doing the random direction technique. Thanks!

Kurt at VR-FX

Jan 18, 2019, 12:19:03 PM1/18/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Hey!

On 1/16/2019 9:21 AM, SilverOranges wrote:
> Kurt, I was thinking of a less childish online name than my last one (thought of previous when I was 11yo playing Halo in middle school) and decided to pick two words that don't rhyme and sorta go together, and ended up with SilverOranges, 7 years later it seems to be working out. Unfortunately somebody took the Gmail name before me.

Bummer. But, what about gmail w/SilverOranges1 or SilverOranges01, or
even SilverOranges02??

> Thanks for the warm welcome,

You're quite welcome!

> I plan on starting a project I've been wanting to do for a while now that it's slowed down at my job, I'll make a thread once I get everything designed out and a solid attack plan made. I think it would be of interest to a lot of people here.

I look forwards to seeing that.

> I minimized the ringing by slowing it down, or it was the upgrade part I put on. I also fixed the seam by doing the random direction technique. Thanks!

Glad to hear you got your issues worked out.

-K-