FDM Filament Choice

Lee

Jan 14, 2019, 12:49:15 PM1/14/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Hi All,

I've been put in touch with a client who has asked me the following question

"The prototypes need to be solid and must have similar plastic properties to polypropylene, as I need to test a pivoting leg design and flexibility of a the clips that are used on it"

Can anyone recommend a suitable material? I don't have an enclosed printer so anything requiring a heated chamber is out of scope for me i'm afraid.

Wes Cherry

Jan 14, 2019, 1:05:16 PM1/14/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Never printed with polypropylene, but have heard it’s very difficult.   Could the design be modified such that a piece of (possibly scored at the hinge?) polypropylene is captured by the print?

-'//es

Lee

Jan 14, 2019, 1:10:36 PM1/14/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
I won't be printing polypropylene as it requires a heated chamber / enclosure. Just wondering of PLA/PETG/Nylon has similar properties. I've already warned him that even if I used polypropylene, FDM prints do not have the same properties as injection moulded parts.

Mark Napier

Jan 14, 2019, 2:28:37 PM1/14/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
How about Taulman Bridge Nylon?  That is supposed to work very well as living hinges, very flexible for nylon.  It might serve if designed properly.

Also, is not very expensive.

Lee

Jan 14, 2019, 3:37:29 PM1/14/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mark, i'll try to find out some more about the prototype and run nylon past them

Kurt at VR-FX

Jan 14, 2019, 3:42:39 PM1/14/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com

Mark - I too was wondering if Lee needed a type of "living hinge" design - even though he didn't specifically state so. There was mention of clips - but, not sure if they are true "living hinge" type of things...

Kurt at VR-FX

Jan 14, 2019, 3:43:10 PM1/14/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com

Nylon can also be a bit of a Bitch to print with - as I have tried it before...

Petr Ptacek

Jan 14, 2019, 8:18:12 PM1/14/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Nylon is best but hard without heated chamber, PETG will do, IF you design and slice the part properly. A lot of people jump into conclusion that only the material they are printing from matters. That is NOT true. There are many different ways, how the orientation of the part, the number of shells, the way you do infill etc directly reflect mechanical properties of the part, sometimes even more than material itself. A lot of people also design parts with some arbitrary dimensions and let slicer do slicing automatically, but this will rarely yield the best mechanical results.
Without knowing how the part looks like it is hard to give a better suggestion, but one general suggestion is if you want to make anything like springy flexible clips, focus on the weakest point, try to design the part so weakest point it is even multiplier of the extrusion width/height so you can slice only with shells, no infill.
That will make very strong (potentially springy) parts which are hard to break.
Hope that helps.

On Jan 14, 2019, at 9:49 AM, Lee <l.fi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,

I've been put in touch with a client who has asked me the following question

"The prototypes need to be solid and must have similar plastic properties to polypropylene, as I need to test a pivoting leg design and flexibility of a the clips that are used on it"

Can anyone recommend a suitable material? I don't have an enclosed printer so anything requiring a heated chamber is out of scope for me i'm afraid.

Happyman

Jan 15, 2019, 8:42:48 AM1/15/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
I had experience with Formfutura PP and it is quite easy to work with. Using PP packaging tape as a build surface will help with adhesion.

D1EC6714-EB52-4BC3-96EB-8D2148E9716B.jpg

EFB3434F-FF87-4F22-BD56-B26AE4C83A9D.jpg

Kurt at VR-FX

Jan 15, 2019, 1:37:25 PM1/15/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com

PP? Polypropylene??

And - the 2nd spool in the pic is support material?

Just curious...

-K-

Happyman

Jan 16, 2019, 2:30:42 AM1/16/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Hi Kurt,

Yes PP is Polypropylene (https://www.formfutura.com/shop/category/pp-centaur-pp-polypropylene-199) and another roll is high temp PVA support (https://www.formfutura.com/shop/category/support-materials-helios-support-pva-204) but we didnt use it for this print, just left it hang in there.

Lee

Jan 16, 2019, 11:38:30 AM1/16/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
Thanks people. From talking to them, I actually think TPU might be a better option.