Oil in IPA

tray

Jan 21, 2019, 7:24:54 AM1/21/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Just  ran across this nugget in the tech data sheet for 3M 468MP adhesive transfer film:

Use reagent grade solvents since common household materials like rubbing alcohol frequently contain oils to minimize the drying aect on skin and can interfere with the performance of a pressure-sensitive adhesive

I've seen some people advocate using IPA to clean printer beds. Given the above statement, I wonder if some fraction of users are inadvertently oiling their printer beds in pursuit of adhesion?

Mark Napier

Jan 21, 2019, 8:39:32 AM1/21/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com
I used brake cleaner on my aluminum heat spreader.  Then rubbed with a clean cloth until I couldn't see any more residue.

FWIW.

Rich Webb

Jan 21, 2019, 1:35:58 PM1/21/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
I'd check the label ingredients. Something sold as rubbing alcohol may very well have additives. The 91% IPA from the drugstore probably doesn't but check the label (Kroger brand: 91% isopropyl alchohol, inactive ingredient water). Yes, MG Chemicals 99.953% pure anhydrous isopropyl alchohol (five significant figures? really? dang!) is the bee's knees but may be somewhat overkill.

RanchRifle

Jan 21, 2019, 3:39:07 PM1/21/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
Am I the only one who read this and wondered why people would clean their print bed with beer?

Kurt at VR-FX

Jan 21, 2019, 4:13:23 PM1/21/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com

At 1st - I was like - What the Hell U talking about. And, I re-read the replies below. But, then it dawned on me - you meant the Subject line. And, I think, yeah - I was originally thinking maybe it was about Beer Talk!

Then a - why would Anyone put Oil in Beer? Well, maybe just Pigs Fat type oil - if they wanted to create a Bacon flavored beer! Cause some people do Weird Shit!

;-)

-K-

the_digital_dentist

Jan 21, 2019, 4:28:05 PM1/21/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
I've never seen IPA with any additives, but they put stuff like lanolin and glycerin in acetone nail polish remover.  Back when I was using Kapton on the printer beds at the makerspace I had to keep throwing away bottles of nail polish remover that people kept bringing in because in spite of being specifically told not to use it, people kept putting the stuff on the beds.

tray

Jan 21, 2019, 5:12:23 PM1/21/19
to 3D Printer Tips, Tricks and Reviews
>why people would clean their print bed with beer?

Heh. Funny you mention that. There's been a recent spate of people claiming sugar water as the bee's knees for print adhesion. Riffing on that, I've been meaning to try beer, as it's also mostly carbs once it dries. Never seem to have leftovers available for experimentation though.

Gary Crowell

Jan 21, 2019, 9:16:35 PM1/21/19
to 3dprintertipstricksreviews
This is a warning I've repeated since the '60's when people used rubbing alcohol to clean tape heads, again in the '70's and '80's when people used it to clean floppy disk heads.  Hmmm, I can't think of what they coated with oil in the '90's and '00's, but now it's back.

Kurt at VR-FX

Jan 21, 2019, 9:36:14 PM1/21/19
to 3dprintertips...@googlegroups.com

Actually - its funny you mentioned that - since VERY Recently posted into the "Other" forum a posting with this subject line:    Sugar on your Bed???

And this was the Msg:

Yeah - I mean print bed!!!
https://hackaday.com/2019/01/05/sugar-as-a-bed-adhesive-for-3d-printing/