3Dfx earnings and stock Jumps Again!

allgames.com

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

Someone here posted they thought the stock would jump 6 points today.
Heh, that is exactly what it did, and then is lowered to 4.
Nvidia is having an IPO soon. I wonder if there are Nvidia fans waiting for
this one.
scot

Editorial Contact: Steve Schick 408.935.4366
st...@3dfx.com

Investor Contact: Laura Onopchenko 408.935.4312
onopc...@3dfx.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

3DFX INTERACTIVE ANNOUNCES 1st QUARTER 1998 FINANCIAL RESULTS

3Dfx Posts Another Record Quarter; Revenue More Than Doubles
Over Previous Quarter

SAN JOSE, Calif. – April 16, 1998 – 3Dfx Interactive™, Inc.
(Nasdaq:TDFX) today released today financial results
for the first quarter of 1998, which ended on March 31, 1998.

Revenues for the first quarter rose to $50,008,000, an increase from total
revenues of $22,297,000 for the fourth quarter of
fiscal 1997 and $5,247,000 for the first quarter of fiscal 1997. Net income
for the first quarter was $7,462,000, or $.50 per
diluted share when 15,012,000 shares were used in the per diluted share
calculation. This compares with net income of
$2,072,000 or $.15 per diluted share in the fourth quarter of fiscal 1997,
when 14,127,000 shares were used in the per diluted
share calculation, and a net loss of $1,161,000 or a loss of $.13 per
diluted share in the first quarter of 1997. 9,226,000 shares
were used in the per diluted share calculation.

3Dfx Interactive, develops high performance, cost-effective 3D media
processors, software and related technology that are
designed to enable a highly immersive, interactive and realistic 3D
experience across interactive electronic entertainment
platforms – personal computers, coin-operated arcade systems and
location-based entertainment ("LBE"). Current 3Dfx
Interactive products include the Voodoo family of accelerator chipsets,
Voodoo2™, Voodoo Graphics™ and
Voodoo Rush™. Visit the company on the web at http://www.3dfx.com

3Dfx Interactive, Voodoo2, Voodoo Graphics and Voodoo Rush are trademarks of
3Dfx Interactive.

3DFX INTERACTIVE, INC.

CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED

BALANCE SHEETS

(in thousands)

(unaudited)

March 31,

December 31,
1998

1997
Assets:
Cash and cash equivalents
$ 62,750
$
28,937
Short-term investments
30,351
5,984
Accounts receivable, net
37,706
13,387
Inventory
15,635
3,845
Other current assets
1,802
2,400
Total current assets
148,244
54,553
Property and equipment, net
7,502
6,816
Other assets
493
548
$ 156,239
$61,917
Liabilities and Shareholders’ Equity:
Line of credit
$ 486
$ 777
Accounts payable
34,405
12,573
Accrued liabilities
13,483
2,969
Current portion of capitalized lease

obligations
599
778
Total current liabilities
48,973
17,097
Capitalized lease obligations, less current

portion
421
546
Shareholders' equity:
Common Stock
121,704
66,717
Warrants
242
242
Deferred compensation
(1,060)
(1,181)
Accumulated deficit
(14,041)

(21,504)
Total shareholders' equity
106,845
44,274
$ 156,239
$
61,917

3DFX INTERACTIVE, INC.

CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED

STATEMENTS OF OPERATIONS

(in thousands, except per share data)

(unaudited)

Three Months Ended

March 31,
1998
1997
Revenues
$ 50,008
$ 5,247
Cost of revenues
25,730
2,582
Gross profit
24,278
2,665
Operating expenses:
Research and development
5,826
1,953
Selling, general and administrative
9,638
1,846
Total operating expenses
15,464
3,799
Income/(loss) from operations
8,814
(1,134)
Interest and other income, net
514
(27)
Income/(loss) before income taxes
9,328
(1,161)
Provision for income taxes
1,866

Net income/(loss)
$ 7,462
$ (1,161)
Net income/(loss) per share

Basic
$ 0.57
$ (0.13)
Diluted
$ 0.50
$ (0.13)
Shares used in net income/(loss) per share
calculations

Basic
13,107
9,226
Diluted
15,012
9,226

###

Juardis T.

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

Anyone know the ticker symbol for nVidia? For 3dfx it is TDFX (glad I
bought at 13$ <vbg>). nVidia should be another big winner.

Juardis T.
--
please remove XX to reply

allgames.com

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

It's not IPO yet
Juardis T. wrote in message
<01bd6a26$e0396040$9b1a...@jla8371.dukepower.com>...

Zorak

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

I think I'll buy some stock in NVIDIA, because the whole 3d market is
growing.

Cyric

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

I am a TDFX investor, and I was seriously thinking of entering at the NVID
IPO. But now with the SGI lawsuit hanging over the heads it is too risky
for me. If it looks like the law suit is heading nowhere I will reconsider
my decision.

Cyric

Juardis T.

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

Right, you said that already :) I want to know now though so I can jump on
the wagon ASAP and if I don't know the symbol, I won't know what to look
for. I guess they don't get a symbol until they go public (ie, the 1st
day)?

Juardis T.
--
please remove XX to reply

allgames.com <game...@allgames.com> wrote in article
<6h83q2$he4$1...@www.3dfx.com>...

Zorak

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

I don't know the correct symbol, but I think NVID would be a good one.

Juardis T. wrote in message

<01bd6a2a$8adc3560$9b1a...@jla8371.dukepower.com>...

Amy

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

Anyone know the date for Nvidia's Public Offering?

I have 3dfx stock right now, but why not pick up ona competitor also...
Keep people moving....

----------
In article <01bd6a26$e0396040$9b1a...@jla8371.dukepower.com>, "Juardis T."
<jlabb...@duke-energy.com> wrote:

Anyone know the ticker symbol for nVidia? For 3dfx it is TDFX (glad I
bought at 13$ <vbg>). nVidia should be another big winner.

Juardis T.

Hardball

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998 12:57:29 -0400, "Zorak" <som...@somewhere.net>
wrote:

>I think I'll buy some stock in NVIDIA, because the whole 3d market is
>growing.

I wouldn't buy Nvidia stock with that SGI patent lawsuit hanging over
their head.

dkm

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98
NVIDIA rips people's technology off and gets sued for it.
Also, NVIDIA couldn't have a chip that rendered decent if their life depended on it.
I say NVIDIA should be put out of business or stop wasting our time and money with their current
garbage chips which were obviously tested by apes before release.

Jose Alea

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

I bought some TDFX about 2 months ago....(around $28) so today's news is
great...Wish I had bought in December...but I had no REAL money to throw at it.

I love Voodoo technology...it is the best looking and fastest....some people
will not justify spending the extra $80 for the Voodoo2 card but I wonder what
they are thinking when my friends still go out and buy M3d's or RIVA 128 based
chipset cards for gaming?

Nanker Phelge

Apr 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/18/98

Zorak wrote:

> I don't know the correct symbol, but I think NVID would be a good one.

Good guess, cause that's what the symbol is going to be.

A good place to check on IPO's (filings, dates, prices, etc.) is
www.ipocentral.com

Broadcom was interesting, to say the least.

I like Chromatic Research - won't be widely knowm, has some good
technology behind it.

John P. Van Smith

Apr 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/18/98

Amy <amy@*NOSPAM*.aol.com> wrote in article <6h8air$iqm$1...@www.3dfx.com>...

> Anyone know the date for Nvidia's Public Offering?
>
> I have 3dfx stock right now, but why not pick up ona competitor also...
> Keep people moving....

www.techweb.com tends to have a good handle on ipo's

John

W. Garth Smith

Apr 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/21/98
to Hardball

Shame on you!

"Open your and see the lies right in front of you" - from
The Lords of the New Church

You are doing exactly what SGI wants you to do! Please read
through the assesment of the techniques SGI is employing
and why they are doing what they are doing.

These are my own personal opinions and not that of the company
I work for.

wgs
--------------------------- from the Fourth Wave ---------------
807.2 Story of the Issue

SGI Sues NVIDIA
(April 9)

Silicon Graphics, Inc. filed a patent infringement lawsuit
against NVIDIA Corporation in the United States District Court
for the District of Delaware. Silicon Graphics' lawsuit seeks an
injunction restraining NVIDIA from manufacturing, selling or
importing their RIVA family of processors, as well as
substantial monetary damages.

Silicon Graphics issued the following statement:

"We have always been on the forefront of innovation in 3D
graphics technology and visual computing," said David Orton,
senior vice president of the Visual Systems Group at Silicon
Graphics. "This innovation is achieved through the annual
investment of hundreds of millions of dollars in research and
development. We cannot allow the fruits of this investment to be
misappropriated."

The lawsuit alleges that NVIDIA's RIVA family of processors,
which are used to accelerate 3D graphics on personal computers,
infringe U.S. Patent No. 5,706,481. The patent describes one of
Silicon Graphics' innovations that has made high-speed texture
mapping possible in low-priced hardware. Texture mapping is a
key technology in 3D computer graphics: it maps two-dimensional
"textures" or images onto the surfaces of three-dimensional
objects.

To drive the cost of texture mapping down to levels suitable for
high-volume markets, Silicon Graphics' engineers are claimed to
have improved the design of graphics hardware by combining
texture cache memory and texture interpolation logic on a single
semiconductor chip. Silicon Graphics' lawsuit alleges that
NVIDIA's RIVA family of graphics processors - as described at
NVIDIA's public Web site, at

http://www.nvidia.com/products/riva128/riva4.html

infringe this fundamental advance in texture mapping technology.

WAVE Comments

The SGI press release made no comments on the suit by Lockheed
Martin against SGI on how SGI is claimed to have infringed on
the technology now owned by Real3D and licensed to Intel.

There is little secret that as NVIDIA expands it has been hiring
many key technical individuals in the Bay Area, including those
with or formally employed by SGI. One wonders if this suit also
has a backdoor intent of stemming the flow of SGI talent into
NVIDIA.

As the 3D marketplace continues to grow it is likely to be a
minefield of litigation as companies seek to get fees from their
IP and manage the flow of products to market. One problem is
that these suits are selectively targeted. If SGI's claims are
so broad why does it not try and stop the shipment of most 3D
chips and retard the 3D PC market? Certainly Real3D could be in
a position to do this with its broad portfolio. However, such
actions are difficult to accomplish and in many cases can net a
PR disaster. Thus, legal actions on IP matters usually have
objectives deeper than just getting royalties from old patents.

We find it interesting that SGI cites NVIDIA's web site as the
source of its claims of infringement. One would expect that in
court it would have a greater depth of legal and technical
research to justify its claims.

There remains one axiom in 3D and other high technology
industries - innovation surfaces in products and is made
obsolete faster than patents are filed, granted, made relevant
and serve as the basis for litigation.

As 3D moves forward such suits will become a part of the
landscape of many 3D mini-soap operas.

808.2 Story of the Issue

SGI Seals Suit Against Another 3D Company
(April 9)

The San Jose Mercury News reported on April 9 that SGI filed
suit against start-up ArtX a 3D start-up. The principals named
in the suit are Wei Yen, Tim Van Hook. The order was sealed
when filed on April 6 in Santa Clara County Court.

The newspaper reports that the suit charges "Yen, Van Hook and
ArtX with a series of violations including misappropriation of
trade secrets, unfair competition, breach of contract,
inducement of breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty,
usurpation of corporate opportunity and interference with
prospective economic advantage. Those are the kind of charges a
company makes when it thinks its employees are being raided,
when it thinks its business is being taken by someone with
intimate knowledge of the company's relationships or when it
thinks a former employee is violating non-compete or non-
disclosure agreements. Van Hook declined to comment about the
letters or the lawsuit."

Further, the San Jose Mercury news reports ' ''It's a Bill
Kelly special,'' ' one former SGI executive said, referring to
SGI's corporate senior VP who runs its legal affairs. ''He's a
nice guy but when he gets mad, he really gets mad.'' ArtX,
according to some familiar with the company, was formed to take
the Nintendo graphics design business away from SGI. Many of
those at ArtX, including Van Hook, had worked on the popular
Nintendo 64 games.

ArtX, Inc.
3400 Hillview Ave Bldg 5
Palo Alto, CA 94304
(650)842-8400
To subscribe to WAVE go to

http://www.fourthwave.com

And Click on the Subscribe Button

Or

send an email message with SUBSCRIBE in the body of the text to

wave-r...@sparklist.com

To unsubscribe also use the 4th Wave Home page or send a
message with UNSUBSCRIBE in the body of the text to

wave-r...@sparklist.com

Previous issues of WAVE, as well as other info can be found at
http://www.fourthwave.com

Comments on or questions about WAVE: wa...@fourthwave.com

John N. Latta: j...@fourthwave.com
Kamela Hutchins khut...@fourthwave.com

The WAVE Report may be redistributed in full for individual
readership and posted to newsgroups, Web, and FTP sites. This
publication may not be reprinted or redistributed for profit.
Short quotes are permitted but must be attributed to the WAVE
Report. 4th Wave retains the copyright to the WAVE Report.

--

W. Garth Smith

MetaVR, Inc.
37 Elm Street