Diamond 8mb vs CL 12mb

Lord Voodoo

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

from the benchmarks i have seen compared to the ones at toms hardware
guide, it looks like the 8meg monster 2 will give the cl 12 a run for
its money.

I also would like to express my regret for everyone that bought a CL V2.
You have been taken in by strategic marketing. The first rule in buying
a peice of hardware for a PC is to never buy the first product out even
if you must have it. You are just giving money to creative so they can
fund R&D for their next voodoo2 card. They did the exact same thing with
their DVD kits and will do it again.

James

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

Lord Voodoo wrote in message <34F60654...@sprintmail.com>...

Don't tell me you are going for Diamond...

Jon

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

Ah, the moronicism of some people is too amazing.

You are comparing averages...Think what happens when lots of texture
thrashing occurs when near lots of players in glquake1/2...

And of course future glquake1/2 clones like Half-Life use true 16-bit
textures, and will need the extra memory.

--
-Jon

Rich

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

I seriously doubt CL will release another V2 card. The next card will
probably be a V3 board...and if I am funding that, then fine with me.

Tyson M

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

ImajikFX wrote in message <01bd4317$bfda3760$b7a41fcb@wilson>...
>I believe its WITH a grain of salt, but anyway......
>
>the 8/12mb question has been answered in the NG thousands and thousands of
>times.
>
>Todays games/benchmarks won't seem much improvement in speed (Q2
>Multiplayer excluded, and even it is expressed by less single frame
>glitches rather than higher benchmarks). Once 12mb becomes the prefered
>standard by the game devolopers, all the people with 8mb cards will wish
>they hadn't bought them.

By the time this happens, V3 may be out.

Tyson

>However, IMHO the 8mb card will make a good replacement for the fading out
>Voodoo1 cards, but, expect the life of the 8mb cards to die around the time
>of the death of Voodoo1. In a few months, everyone who bought an 8mb card
>will be selling them to Voodooless people who just want to run Quake1 on
>their P90.
>
>Regards
>Syma Mishra
>
>Yatsu <ya...@nospam.geocities.com> wrote in article
><01bd4316$12006840$26b4...@lupin.stanford.edu>...
>> Lord Voodoo <bullf...@sprintmail.com> wrote in article

>> <34F60654...@sprintmail.com>...
>> > from the benchmarks i have seen compared to the ones at toms hardware
>> > guide, it looks like the 8meg monster 2 will give the cl 12 a run for
>> > its money.
>>

>> I'd take anything from Tom's Hardware as a grain of salt.

Flip Cody

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

Maybe you should change your name. 12mb cards are not going to improve games
now. You won't be saying the same thing in six months.

CL's card and Diamond's are "reference boards". There is going to be very
little difference between Voodoo2 cards (with the exception of Canopus and
Quantum3D).

Jim

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

Flip Cody wrote:

> Maybe you should change your name. 12mb cards are not going
> to improve games now.

It will in certain instances with Quake2 (e.g. 16-bit textures,
heavy net play). Andy Hollis has also mentioned LongBow2
having benefits from the extra texture RAM, by catching more
of the large textures used in LB2.

Yatsu

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

ImajikFX

Juardis T.

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

Lord Voodoo <bullf...@sprintmail.com> wrote in article
<34F60654...@sprintmail.com>...
> from the benchmarks i have seen compared to the ones at toms hardware
> guide, it looks like the 8meg monster 2 will give the cl 12 a run for
> its money.

90% of the people on this ng are intelligent and knowledgable. We KNOW 8
MB will give the same performance as 12 MB. That's not the point. The
point is that 12 MB will be better in the long run. And we have expressed
our opinions by buying a 12 MB card.

> I also would like to express my regret for everyone that bought a CL V2.
> You have been taken in by strategic marketing. The first rule in buying
> a peice of hardware for a PC is to never buy the first product out even
> if you must have it. You are just giving money to creative so they can
> fund R&D for their next voodoo2 card. They did the exact same thing with
> their DVD kits and will do it again.

One important point. We're talking graphics cards, not DVD, and we're
dealing with Creative AND 3dfx. Creative will come out with a new voodoo2
card when 3dfx designs a new voodoo2 card. Who here bought an OR3D or
Diamond Monster 3d when they first came out? Were later cards of that
brand any faster? Maybe the pass-through cable was improved. The drivers
were definitely improved (by 3dfx I might add). But I'm willing to bet my
Voodoo2 (if I had it :( ) that later cards were no faster than the first
cards. Hell, even the Canopus card, which was released almost 1 year after
the first cards, was only marginally faster than them, and that because it
had 2 xtra MB of ram.

So you can keep your sympathy and my regret is that someone may actually
heed your advice and miss out on some incredible (or so I hear) gaming
experience. And another thing. I firmly believe that Creative has exactly
whats coming to them. A very healthy bottom line. They took risks no
other company was willing to take. They listened to us and gave us what we
wanted and were the first to do so. And we are the benefactors of their
risk.

Juardis T.