Stl file

Gerry Chevalier

Jan 14, 2018, 3:42:56 PM1/14/18
to 3D604
Hi I haven’t posted here in a long while and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I need to print a simple grid. 30 mm x 10 x 5 with 18 holes by 5. I made an stl file in openscad and imported it to Cura. It looked correct and the size was correct but when I looked to see how long the print would be it showed 0 minuets and 0 material. Also when I checked layers it showed nothing and the image on the build plate disappeared. If anyone can help or make a stl file for me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much Gerry

Nick Wimpney

Jan 14, 2018, 6:45:07 PM1/14/18
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I don't know for sure without seeing your scad model, but I'm guessing you either forgot about the thickness, or you have some problems with colinear edges, etc.

Regardless, I whipped up a quick .scad that should do whatever grid size you want.  Just put the sizes and the number of cells, and the wall thickness at the top, and it should generate your grid.

Things to keep in mind is that I prioritized position over hole size, so if you care about the exact hole sizes, rather than the hole spacings, you'll need to add "thickness" to your sizes,  (with my current example grid, the 12x6 holes actually end up 11.5x5.5 due to the .5mm walls.)

also, keep in mind that the total size will end up 1 thickness wider and taller, so if you're printing a panel that's an exact size to fit something, you will need to make the total size smaller by "thickness" on each dimension.

-Nick

On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 12:42 PM, Gerry Chevalier <chevali...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi I haven’t posted here in a long while and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I need to print a simple grid. 30 mm x 10 x 5 with 18 holes by 5. I made an stl  file in openscad and imported it to Cura. It looked correct and the size was correct but when I looked to see how long the print would be it showed 0 minuets and 0 material. Also when I checked layers it showed nothing and the image on the build plate disappeared. If anyone can help or make a stl file for me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much Gerry

grid.scad