Help me 3D-604, you’re my only hope...

Gabe Gat

May 30, 2020, 11:33:49 AM5/30/20
to 3D604
Link to photos at the bottom of the post.

When I think I finally have it dialled in I go to do a calibration cube or some other print and everything is a mess. I'll post pics of the level best test and of video of the cube print (note the cube print in from the supplied SD card so I'd assume slicer issues aren't a problem)

I've reviewed the mod 1 levelling directions and followed the advanced bed levelling... used paper then receipts to tune down per direction. Make sure to do the levelling while everything is hot. I'm at a loss.

Pic 1 and 2 with multi-line-squares - print done immediately after levelling bed with the receipt paper *bed was cleaned prior to print

between the (what I would deem successful print above) I ran the 5 square right away assuming everything would come out perfect... it did not, I ran dozens of more square fine-tuning in between, here's the best I've gotten to,

Pic 3 : Five square test This bed level test had a fine singe line that went around the perimeter, some adhesion issues I removed all the spaghetti and let the squares finish. This is the best one I've managed, I did bring the top left side a little closer after this print finished. *magnetic bed not removed, as not to throw off the level.

Next I ran another file from my SD Card...

Pic 4, when I try and run the "Cube" g-code supplied with the SD card, first layer looks like garbage even though the above 5 square test seemed overall dialed in...

Pic 5, a little further into the first layer, I killed the print no sense in wasting more filiment.

Remaining pic - I re-leveled the and tried a bench/solid cube file again from the SD card supplied with the printer

I've done the metal ruler test and by all accounts, if the bed is warped somewhere it's very very negligible.

Last picture... the "I'm trying here and ready to give up.." pic

Should I try a different calibration file? What do I do next?! Should I be checking something mechanical at this point?

Sain smart Ender 3 Pro (New out of box working on initial calibration)

PLA

HB: 60

HE: 200

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wD5xc6LmL9HAswFc7

Edward Simpson

May 30, 2020, 12:39:16 PM5/30/20
to 3D604
I'd try swapping to a fresh SD card and slice the cube from scratch, that's sounding like corrupted file more than a leveling issue. As for that Benchy, it looks like you're slightly too high for PLA or running the bed a bit cold.

Rob Hall

May 30, 2020, 1:08:09 PM5/30/20
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Also a chance your going to fast for the benchy

Have you tried printing over usb
That could rule out the card issues

Maybe give the bed a wipe down with isopropyl alcohol

Rob Hall

May 30, 2020, 1:15:04 PM5/30/20
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Have you checked the filament with a caliper

What brand of filament is it.
You may just have to run a bit hotter
I have run pla as high as 230c for some applications.  Or if the filament is not as consistent as I would like a little more heat helps deal with it

Gabe Gat

May 30, 2020, 6:53:42 PM5/30/20
to 3D604
Ok, so I've:
- Cleaned the bed with old fashion soap and water, then the alcohol for good measure.
- Re-levelled with paper
- Printing directly from Cura
- Resliced the stl for the cube
- callipers show some variance on the filament, so I've ramped the heat to 230 (Filament is MG Chemicals from SMI Electronic in Langley) What filament would you recommend?

Here's the latest print! All sides are measuring 20.4 - 20.6! Is this print saying anything to you? Anything you'd suggest? At one point my test print was coming out really poorly and I noticed the printer had gone back down to 200, so one thing for sure is the 230 is heping.

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_9629.JPG

IMG_4916.JPG

IMG_6682.JPG

Thanks so much for the advice everyone, I'm already getting better and there's far less a chance I'm going to have an Ender shaped hole in my wall anytime soon.

Gabe Gat

May 30, 2020, 6:56:55 PM5/30/20
to 3D604
Here's a link to the pictures not all screwy looking:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0UIGFgrq3mQ3XbIW-PzpHzsmg

Rob Hall

May 30, 2020, 7:47:59 PM5/30/20
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Mg is not bad filament I use it most of the time.

200 to 230 is the temp range 230 would be the max.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/3d604/23fcbcf1-5a3c-426a-b148-5ef56e282e50%40googlegroups.com.

Edward Simpson

May 30, 2020, 7:48:23 PM5/30/20
to 3D604
That looks much better, more or less what my Ender 3 printed straight out of the box :) You're using MG Chemicals PLA? That's probably what caused the problem, that stuff always needs to run hot, the suggested minimum temperature is always too cold with their stuff.

Rob Hall

May 30, 2020, 7:52:41 PM5/30/20
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Your temp sensor may not be super accurate which is no big deal so long as its consistent

But I would work up from 200 in 5 degree increments. Until things are smooth

You probably need to do a bit of tuning on your cura profile but your close now

You need to start printing other things

On Sat., May 30, 2020, 3:53 p.m. Gabe Gat, <gab...@gmail.com> wrote:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/3d604/23fcbcf1-5a3c-426a-b148-5ef56e282e50%40googlegroups.com.

Gabe Gat

May 30, 2020, 7:53:14 PM5/30/20
to 3D604
I’ll keep pressing on with the higher temps. Thanks for your help and time!

Rob Hall

May 30, 2020, 8:00:53 PM5/30/20
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
It's rated very loosely and it works well up to about 230 as I said.

And it is no surprise. Your sensor is different than mine.

I run MG at 200 on my machine
But lower temps mean lower speeds
Higher speeds need higher temps