Getting a BoF/working group together for Siggraph - who wants in - prefs for dates/times?

rudycazabon

Aug 5, 2011, 11:13:19 AM8/5/11
to 3D REST
Greetings everyone,

I am sending this message out and see who would be up for pulling
together a last-minute BoF/working group at Siggraph?

Although there has been a flurry of presentations and posts in this
group, I believe there is a general benefit for everyone interested in
this topic to come together and cover a few fundamental topics. For
example:

1. review existing use-cases to get clarification and get some sense
of prioritization as they support the sharpening and definition of
scope for the API

2. possibly identify "action items" (loosely speaking - no pressure),
investigations, or paper studies that should to be undertaken to
solidify the spec.

Please feel free to chime in on what you would like to see in a BoF/
working group get together.

Finally, what dates and times throughout the duration of Siggraph
would work for you? I'll work with Remi to see if we can magically
pick a time and place that would enable the most of number of
respondents to come together.

I look forward to your replies.

Warm Regards,
Rudy Cazabon
415-948-5175
rudyc...@gmail.com

Rémi Arnaud

Aug 5, 2011, 12:24:56 PM8/5/11
to 3d-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, let's settle this quickly.

+++ There will be a rest3d meeting at SigGraph. At least 2 people - myself
and Rudy :-)

Please reply to this list if you want to be in this meeting with your
availability, and if you have a place in mind for this meeting to take
place.

+++ my availability:

Tuesday: not available
Wed: anytime
Thu: anytime except 2-4 (COLLADA BOF)
Fri: anytime in the morning/lunch

Best Regards
- Rémi
PS: here's my mobile: 408 565 3683 so you can call/txt me during SigGraph

Tony Parisi

Aug 5, 2011, 12:33:20 PM8/5/11
to 3d-...@googlegroups.com
Great idea Rudy, I support it. Unfortunately I am not going to be there. I hope you guys get it together.
--
Tony Parisi                             tpa...@gmail.com
CTO at Large                         415.902.8002

Rémi Arnaud

Aug 5, 2011, 1:03:04 PM8/5/11
to 3d-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, typo in my mobile number!
It is 408 656 3683

Regards
-- Remi

Aug 5, 2011, 1:07:40 PM8/5/11
to 3d-...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone, this is Rob Chadwick from DoD/ADL. I'd be interested in meeting. My schedule is clear, so please let me know when.

Rémi Arnaud

Aug 5, 2011, 2:18:11 PM8/5/11
to 3d-...@googlegroups.com
I entered a submission for a BOF session for the rest3d group.
Asked the session to be at or nearby the convention center, Wed lunch time.
Hopefully this will get accepted and will fit everyone schedule.

Regards
-- Rémi

Aug 7, 2011, 6:26:30 PM8/7/11
to 3D REST
Greetings Remi et. al.

Wanted to find out whether you had received a reply from Siggraph
schedulers with confirmation of room and time ( Wednesday @ Lunch/
1200pm ) for the Rest3d BoF

Finally, one more call to the participants of this group to please
express your interest in pulling off this BoF.

P.s. I'm working separately to see if we I can score drinks and
munchies at the Black Frog. How's that for enticement ;-)

Rémi Arnaud

Aug 7, 2011, 11:31:03 PM8/7/11
to 3d-...@googlegroups.com
YES!

We just are approved for a rest3D BOF, noon to 2pm on Wednesday

I'll post details as soon as I have them

Please reply to this thread or to Rudy is you are planing to be at the
meeting, even if you are available for only a few minutes, come say
hi!

This meeting is open to anybody, so make sure to blog/tweet about it
as soon as I have the details.

Best Regards
- Remi

--
Sent from my mobile device

Rémi Arnaud

Rob Chadwick

Aug 8, 2011, 9:01:16 PM8/8/11
to 3d-...@googlegroups.com
Rémi,

Thanks for including me. ADL is an R&D organization within the DoD. In
the past, we have been involved with standards and specifications for
distance learning content, and developed the SCORM (Sharable Content
Object Reference Model). We've also been involved in the registries
and repositories community, and participate in several projects that
attempt to make search and discovery of learning content easier. We've
been hearing some noise in DoD training circles about the frustrations
surrounding the discovery and reuse of 3D assets within game engines
and simulators, so a year ago we launched a project to build an online
repository of 3D assets. We call this project the ADL 3D Repository,
and you can visit the beta site at http://3dr.adlnet.gov.

Our project uses a range of technologies relevant to your group. We
use Open Scene Graph to convert uploaded models into our internal
storage format (COLLADA) and to deliver content as any of a variety of
formats. We also convert the content into a JSON representation that
our web front end renders with WebGL. We have fallback viewers based
on Google's O3D, and on a software Flash renderer. We currently
publish a REST API for accessing the content, though it is not as
robust or full featured as some of the use cases described in this
group. We intend the users to retrieve the entire content of a model
at once, and our API does not currently support and upload or
modifications. We do have a SOAP API for those operations, but it is
not public at this time.

I'm very interested to see how this group scopes out the spec - if
possible, I'd like to align our API to match the final 3D REST API. I
think it's important to have actual community feedback on these topics
- because currently the design is just what our technical folks think
will be most useful, and of course that may not align with the
communities needs.

I'll see if I can find our docs on the API when I get back to DC.

See you Wednesday.

-Rob C

Rémi Arnaud

Aug 9, 2011, 1:15:09 AM8/9/11
to 3d-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob,

Really nice web site and use case!

Looking forward to meeting you at the BOF.

Can I reference http://3dr.adlnet.gov on rest3d.org ?

Regards
-- Rémi