3D Repository API

Rob Chadwick

Sep 6, 2011, 9:45:58 AM9/6/11
to 3d-...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone. I just wanted to mention that the most recent release of our 3D Repository prototype contains a public REST API. You can find the documentation here: http://3dr.adlnet.gov/docs/3dr_api_doc.html

This API allows users to search and retrieve models in a variety of formats, query metadata, and retrieve textures and other supporting documents. Please let me know what you think - I'm happy to take critiques into account for our next development phase.

-Rob C.

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Tony Parisi <tpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Somebody take notes! Sorry I can't be there;

Tony

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Rémi Arnaud <jsr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here's the linformation for the SigGraph rest3D meeting:

Group Name: rest3d
BOF Date:   Wednesday, August 10, 2011
Location:  Vancouver Convention Centre
Time: 12:00 PM -2:00 PM
Room Name: 102 West Building

 Regards
- Remi

--
Tony Parisi                             tpa...@gmail.com
CTO at Large                         415.902.8002

Alan Chaney

Sep 6, 2011, 10:55:50 AM9/6/11
to 3d-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob

Thanks for this, it looks pretty interesting. What are the licensing terms for the use of the API?

Regards

Alan Chaney

Rob Chadwick

Sep 6, 2011, 3:48:46 PM9/6/11
to 3d-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan,

The metadata for each peice of content describes the license under which the submitter has choosen to release it. Obviously, consumers of the data are expected to abide by those terms, although ADL leaves enforcement up to the contributor. We currently don't have any limits or restrictions on the use of the server, although I should note that we are calling the existing website and API the "Demo" installation. If server load or bandwidth becomes an issue, we'll contact the owner of the API key used to work out an agreement. We are not in the business of providing web hosting, so long term, if you need these services, I recommend that you stand up an instance of the 3DR software on your own web server. We'll be releasing the system open source, and will provide tools and instructions to stand up your own instance. Please contact me privately if this would be of interest to you.

-Rob C