Introducing myself

Thomas Paviot

Jun 20, 2011, 8:24:43 AM6/20/11
to 3d-...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I heard about the Rest 3d project a couple of months ago and registered this google-goup yesterday. My name's Thomas Paviot, I'm a reseracher in the industrial design and manufacturing area. I'm interested in CAD/CAM/PDM/PLM/ERP/MES etc. and interoperability between all these system. My main intent deals with product data representation and exchange. I defended my PhD thesis [1][2] one year ago and I'm now a researcher at the Laboratory of Product Design and Innovation/Arts&Métiers ParisTech, a french engineering school. In a few words, I'm tryng to fill in the gap between the design and manufacturing stages, by enabling a fluid and lossless semantic flow between the systems involved. My skills are related to ICT in the PLM field (Product Lifecycle Management), the STEP standard (AP203/214/239), the EXPRESS modeling langage, SOA.

I'm also involved in some free and open source projects dedicated to this topic. I'm the project founder and manager of pySDAI [3], pythonOCC [4][5] and Opencascade Community Edition (OCE) [6]. I strongly believe in open standards and free and open source software to overcome many issues I use to fight with. I attended the 3 last NASA/ESA Product Data Exchange workshops and presented experiments/ideas/demos developed with pythonOCC [7][8][9][10].

My current work deals with knowledge modeling (ontologies, RDF, OWL-DL etc.) as well as highly scalable network architectures. I had a look at REST and fell in love with Fielding's thesis dissertation, and I'm working on improving the old and outdated OMG CAD Services. At last, I'm trying to stay tuned with the latest developments of standards, such as WebGL or COLLADA. For instance, I recently experimented WebGL to render CAD objects in a compliant webbrowser [11].

I'm completely new to this group, don't know anything about your feedbacks (gamers? architects? mechanical engineers?) or the ongoing projects here (milestones, deliverables etc.), don't know either if and how I could contribute, but here I am!

Best Regards,

Thomas Paviot

[1] http://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-00504680 - french
[2] http://www.slideshare.net/tpaviot/soutenance-de-thesethomaspaviot2010slideshare - french
[3] http://sf.net/projects/pySDAI
[4] http://www.pythonocc.org
[5] http://code.google.com/p/pythonocc/
[6] https://github.com/tpaviot/oce
[7] http://step.nasa.gov/pde2009/
[8] http://conferences.esa.int/pde2010/
[9] http://step.nasa.gov/pde2011/
[10] http://www.slideshare.net/tpaviot
[11] http://webgl.pythonocc.org/

Tony Parisi

Jun 20, 2011, 3:47:41 PM6/20/11
to 3d-...@googlegroups.com
Welcome Thomas!
--
Tony Parisi                             tpa...@gmail.com
CTO at Large                         415.902.8002