Open Geo Services REST API

coderextreme

Jul 22, 2011, 4:16:15 PM7/22/11
to 3D REST
This may be related to a 3D Rest API. It's published by ESRI.

http://esri.com/opengeoservices/

Rémi Arnaud

Aug 1, 2011, 9:16:29 PM8/1/11
to 3d-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I have seen this too. It's a REST API for map services.

On a side note ESRI is a large provider to the OGC standard consortium, and
they had been working on the WMS (web map service) standard
For quite a while - http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/wms

So I am puzzled why they work on one REST API standard, and then publish
their own.

Another side note, they have recently acquired a 3D modeling company -
Procedural - which import 2D elements exported by ESRI tools (*.shp) and
create 3D models of cities
http://www.esri.com/news/releases/11-3qtr/esri-acquires-3d-software-company-
procedural.html

So, wondering if ESRI will be creating a 3D REST API in the future. After
the dust settles it would be interesting to get them involved in our group.

Regards
-- Remi