Notes from REST 3D BoF @ Siggraph

rudycazabon

Aug 18, 2011, 1:07:15 AM8/18/11
to 3D REST

Greetings everyone,

Below are the notes and comments I was able to pick up from the BoF
that took place at Siggraph. These notes are neither complete nor
comprehensive on all the discussions that took place during the BoF.
As such, I invite all attendees to please add to these notes and
expand on the topics discussed.

Regards,
RudyC

REST 3D Birds of a Feather
SIGGRAPH 2011
Wednesday August 10, 2011

REST 3d BoF Attendees
Daniel Bickett, Boeing
Rémi Arnaud, Screampoint
Rudy Cazabón, RayGun
Peter Schickel, Bitmanagement
Kristian Sons, DFKI
Rob Chadwick, ADL
Jeffrey Mills, ADL

Review of REST 3D
The "why" of REST 3D (Arnaud)
Will leave this open for Remi to expand

Ideas and Questions that Bubbled Up
Search and query across federated data sources
Search is a good paradigm for setting the stage for early
development
Derivation and reuse of assets
Retargeting of assets to specific or family of platforms
Enable the construction of cloud-based web-services to support asset-
conditioning pipeline
Have there been any discussions on the workflow and orchestration of
web-services?
Entice as many Gov’t related bodies for adoption/embrace of REST 3D,
consider alignment with Federal Learning Registry – http://www.learningregistry.org
Interested Gov’t entities (besides DoD) who have requirements for
federated asset-repositories: Dept. of Energy, NASA, sub-contractors
SRI, Boeing
Namespace and uniqueness of models across repositories
Concern that “human readable” name handles may not be sufficient for
ensuring the uniqueness of an originating asset
Can and should metadata be introduced?
If so, can it be RDF & OWL (web ontology language)
When requests/queries for content delivery are made, what (format,
sic) does it come back as?
This is really an issue of enabling one or several collaborating web-
services to be brought online to condition return content into X
number of data-formats
Should there be one (or several) IETF sanctioned mime-types that
enable graceful handling of 3D datatypes, e.g. X3D, COLLADA,
OpenFlight, etc.