Seeking your feedback on Aluminium Nitride Ceramic Nozzles for FDM printers

Gaurang Kudalkar

May 28, 2024, 1:17:11 AMMay 28
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks

Hi,

I've noticed that commonly available brass nozzles are prone to deformation and wear, especially when printing with abrasive filaments. Imagine the possibilities if nozzles were made from aluminium nitride ceramic, offering these benefits:

  1. High thermal and mechanical stability

  2. Low thermal expansion and resistance to thermal shock

  3. Thermal conductivity around 170 W/m.K

  4. Long-lasting and durable

  5. Abrasion resistance against carbon fiber and glass fiber reinforced filaments that easily wear out brass nozzles

Such nozzles could significantly enhance print quality and longevity, making them ideal for demanding applications.

I'm curious to hear what the experts in this group think about this material choice. Additionally, what do you think would be a reasonable market price for these high-performance nozzles? Your feedback and insights would be greatly appreciated!

Sean

May 28, 2024, 3:15:50 PMMay 28
to Gaurang Kudalkar, 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
I wouldn't claim to be an expert but , I have had good results from the MicroSwiss line of coated nozzles in the past. During my lithophane kick I was running through a regular brass nozzle every month or so. A MicroSwiss nitride coated nozzle would last about a year. White filament is quite abrasive due to the metal oxides they use as pigments but I'm sure nowhere as abrasive as carbon fiber filaments.
The most abrasive filament that I printed with a coated nozzle was probably a couple of kgs of wood fill. From an educated guess, I'd say it took a month off the life of the nozzle.

A note of context. I don't print on daily basis but go through spurts of printing maybe a couple weeks total out of a month. I'd did print more early on when I started printing in 2015 but have slowed and now just print when I need something or have a request for something.

3D Printing Tips and Tricks

May 29, 2024, 12:21:28 PMMay 29
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks

I’ve also had good experience with the microswiss nozzles. Also Performance 3-d nozzles as well.