That's weird... Printing artifact

Jody Harris

May 29, 2024, 8:38:33 PMMay 29
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
This is a first print of this design. It's two walls thick with an internal pattern, also two walls thick. I've never had this under extrusion artifact present before.

SerMeCNC Boss Delta 300
California Filaments PETG

Thanks for looking.

Jody

Think carefully

PXL_20240530_002700159.jpg
PXL_20240530_003016932.MP.jpg
signature.asc

Jody Harris

May 29, 2024, 8:48:59 PMMay 29
to Jody Harris, 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
After looking at the gcode, it appears the outside is the fist perimeter laid down for each layer.

-j

Think carefully
> --
signature.asc

Dan Flemming

May 29, 2024, 10:41:14 PMMay 29
to Jody Harris, 3D Printing Tips and Tricks

Jody Harris

May 29, 2024, 10:58:26 PMMay 29
to Dan Flemming, 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
Just that seam. The under extrusion occurred at the beginning of the perimeter.

(Sorry, Dan, replied privately to you by mistake.)

Think carefully
signature.asc

Dan Flemming

May 30, 2024, 5:31:57 AMMay 30
to Jody Harris, 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the retract might be the problem, or the drive is slipping.
That's a .06 nozzle right?

Just imagining here:
Could be speed is too high with a large retract, not having time to extrude before the position is an 1/8 way around the perimeter (makes me think drive slipping).

It's laying down nicely at the end of the line.

Have you tried printing the outside last, to see if that made any difference?

And that "banding" (15-20 layers with separation like, that keeps repeating itself) is something I've had happened to me before.
I don't remember what I done to fix it.

Mark Abrams

May 30, 2024, 8:57:33 AMMay 30
to Dan Flemming, Jody Harris, 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
It looks like a retraction setting issue. Due to the very short path created by the honeycomb pattern that you appear to have on the interior, you are likely also experiencing issues laying down that honeycomb, but it’s the outer edge where you actually see the problem. Depending on the slicer you are using, you can also try to set it so that it won’t cross internal perimeters. There may be some other settings you need to change so the zipper is more random and the start of the outer shell is closer to the end of the honeycomb fill.

What’s the material you’re using? I would create a shorter version of the same design, turn off retraction entirely accept the spider strings that come with no retraction just for a test. And see if that effect goes away.

Sent from my iPhone

Sophie

Jun 7, 2024, 2:39:21 AMJun 7
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
In addition to what Dan and Mark have suggested, check to see if coasting is on, and do a test toggling that off too. Maybe it's coasted too much by the time it starts the new layer.