PETG on PLA

TobyCWood

Jun 8, 2022, 7:19:33 PM6/8/22
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
I did not think that this would work. Using PLA for dense support from the PETG and not off the bed. I expected the PLA to peel off and not stick. But it stuck! PrusaSlicer!
IMG_7376.jpgIMG_7378.jpgIMG_7377.jpgIMG_7375.jpgIMG_7373.jpg

Kurt at VRFX

Jun 8, 2022, 8:08:59 PM6/8/22
to 3d-printing-...@googlegroups.com

Hey Andy,

I'm thrilled to see you continue the experiments w/PLA supports for printing PETG. And, like you - I'm kind of surprised it worked so well - that the PLA stuck enough to the PETG to properly stick the bottoms of the Supports!

I'm curious to know what may have gone wrong with part of the PLA supports, as highlighted in the following pic. I also thought it was funny - what is written on your bed - "Must Earth". Sounds like Bed was made in China - and they used Earth instead of Ground. Am I right?

Yeah, I find that kind of warped wall and delamination of the walls to be really ODD - since that's not typical of PLA. It looks like a problem that should happen more so with ABS. I'm guessing that the internals of the supports - they have solid walls - but, the insides are long lines with long spaces - and maybe heat is getting trapped inside - causing the warping. Maybe the internal support structure needs a cross pattern. You know, like in S3D - you can control the angles - via layers, and changing the angles for some layers - so that the supports kind of Interlock - going from bottom to top.

I feel that the undersides of that surface - as I circled in red - could have been smoother. But, they have more imperfections because of the failures in the supports like the warp outer walls of the supports and the cracking!

Anyway - those are my thoughts.

But, yeah - cool on you for doing these experiments. COOL Stuff indeed!!!

-K

On 6/8/2022 4:19 PM, TobyCWood wrote:
I did not think that this would work. Using PLA for dense support from the PETG and not off the bed. I expected the PLA to peel off and not stick. But it stuck! PrusaSlicer!

TobyCWood

Jun 8, 2022, 9:17:36 PM6/8/22
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
Yeah, Id agree, not perfect. But not bad. I don't think PS lets you do what S3D does with the direction of the supports. OTOH S3D's dense support is unusable. Way too rough.

TobyCWood

Jun 8, 2022, 9:18:07 PM6/8/22
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
and the "Must Earth" is from E3D. They're in the UK.