Message has been deleted

Sophie

Jun 6, 2024, 9:59:27 PMJun 6
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
Is there a bug on the google group at the moment?

Every single message I post is being auto deleted :(

No off topic discussion, no expletives. I posted a link to a Prusa community blog regarding an XL enclosure, and since then I'm just being auto deleted.

Kurt The 3D Printer GUY!

Jun 6, 2024, 11:18:13 PMJun 6
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
Sophie - not sure if its a Bug - but, its also been suspect that a TROLL Has been Trolling in this group and Marking messages for Deletion!!! It's been happening to my friend Andy - who runs this Forum - and we have discussed this via DM. Not sure WHY a TROLL would target you - VERY UNCOOL IF  you ask me!!!

-Kurt

Sophie

Jun 7, 2024, 2:26:22 AMJun 7
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
Hey Kurt,

Yikes that's annoying. I half expected this original post to be deleted in all honesty! Glad I could get this one up to highlight the issue. Trolling is not cool :( they must have admin rights to delete others posts? Or does just simply reporting a post get it deleted? Hope it's resolved soon....it takes time and effort to post meaningful and cohesive posts...so it's super annoying having to re-write stuff over again....everythings being copied for now, for a quick Ctrl+V, until it stops happening...

Sophie

Jun 7, 2024, 2:32:22 AMJun 7
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
It does feel automated to be honest
Usually when I reply to a post it sends it to my email too (either inbox or spam) ...but in the other thread about XL enclosures, Im able to post, see my post on the screen as if it were successful...but then I don't get an email and 30 seconds later it's "Message has been deleted"....
Whereas with this thread I'm able to reply to you and I receive the email with my reply.
So strange.

Kurt The 3D Printer GUY!

Jun 7, 2024, 10:21:39 AMJun 7
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
Yeah - DEFINITELY Weird. Andy was chatting with me about these Deleted messages - and wondering if Google Group is kinda "broken". We feel that the Groups are older Google Tech - and maybe simply doesn't get the right attention - so, maybe it IS actually broken...

TobyCWood

Jun 7, 2024, 11:38:40 AMJun 7
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
Yeah… real problem. Posts are randomly getting sent to moderation. When I go into moderation and approve the posts they don’t go out on the board. Google groups is broken. I’ve tried complaining, but Google ignores groups now. It may be time to consider alternatives to Google groups.

Sean

Jun 7, 2024, 12:21:59 PMJun 7
to TobyCWood, 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
Given this is pretty much a email message board, Could it possibly be someone marking incoming messages as spam when they hit their inbox which in turn marks them for review? 🤔🤷‍♂️🤔🤷‍♂️🤔

TobyCWood

Jun 7, 2024, 1:06:11 PMJun 7
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
If that happened it would not send the post to moderation. Instead it would go to their own spam directory in their email server. It was a few months back we had a boneheaded troll who came in here and was bent on trying to damage this forum's civility. I killed their posts and they then deleted their account themselves. After that happened some posts including mine were getting marked as spam(Hence my personal account). The real problem though is that after I accepted those posts in moderation instead of them getting posted they were deleted. Since I let all new user requests in it's very possible the idiot created another account and can be in here hitting the "report as spam" from the menu... but I'm doubting it now. I just think Google groups is broken and Google just doesn't want to bother with it. There's no profit in it for them.
If it continues or gets worse we will find a private alternative. I'd rather not. I would rather this forum be open and free without ads and not necessarily coupled to just my podcast.

Sophie

Jun 7, 2024, 1:48:08 PMJun 7
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks

Yea I mean, I'm not surprised that Google isn't really maintaining Groups, a lot of groups Ive been a part off have moved to either discord, WhatsApp, plain old email, Facebook, or a combination. It's a shame because there aren't many open forums, without ads or membership that directly replace G groups. Discord can work, but it has to be managed well with maintainers, and the users need to know how to use it correctly, so they need to know when it's appropriate to create a thread or a sub thread or just post in live chat. Most discord groups I'm a member of, people just treat it like Facebook and it ends up just being an endless stream of "stuff". Super hard to keep track of a topic, super hard to search, super hard to keep track of anything over a week old.
This forum has been great though just in terms of knowledge, community, experiences, and to be honest I'd pay a couple quid a month to stay a part of something that gave the right level of forum, thread tracking and chat.

TobyCWood

Jun 7, 2024, 10:32:20 PMJun 7
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
I’m sure that it’s not someone hitting a report problem menu item. I’m sure of it because it yanks my posts immediately after I send them as the admin.

Kurt The 3D Printer GUY!

Jun 8, 2024, 12:02:31 AMJun 8
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
Yeah Sophie - I agree with you - I like this forum the way it is. It functions Great (or well - it USED to) - and it works for me, you can search it, and threads are solid. And, Andy has done a GREAT Job with this forum as well as the Podcast.

Now, I used to use this forum EXCLUSIVELY via the Email reflections. But, things changed for me over time - moving a lot - and some of my computers not so Viable over time - so, I kinda switched to using the Google Groups Online webpage - and at times the emails. What I started seeing - maybe about a year ago - that many posts in the forum do NOT show up in the Email reflections. It was getting worse over time - then there was the whole Deletions of postings/messages happening. And, yeah - Andy and I have been chatting via DM about it a number of times in the past like 6 months or so...

I was thinking today - maybe its a bit like the FoxPro SW I used to program in (and still do - Very Occasionally). It's Old Tech - and, for instance - I think the native VFP DBF sizes were limited to 2GB in file size. So, for all we know - there are some odd Tech Limits in the GG that is causing the problems. And, maybe GG grew to a point that the Tech handling it can NOT handle it well - and its overgrown it's limits. Thus, message getting dropped. Maybe even messages are Deleted - but, are Showing as Deleted but, in reality - just never made it into the forum. Which makes a bit of sense based upon the feedback from Andy.

Would be Awesome if Enough people Bitched to Google that there are problems - and maybe SOMEONE up the Chain will actually listen!

Heck - I have a REALLY GOOD Buddy at FaceBook. And, if there was a weird FB problem - I could let him know - and it would probably get fixed. But - Alas, I do NOT know anyone at Google. Although, my Mom's Cousin worked at Google - but, he Retired like 10-15 years ago...

Bummer...

-K