Since there's been some Fusion360 bashing...

TobyCWood

May 15, 2024, 12:16:45 AMMay 15
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
I keep getting this really really annoying thing happening in Fusion360...
While drawing in a sketch with the line tool, it gets wonky... really badly. First off, it sometimes won't take my drop point.... even when I type in a dimension it simply does nothing. I have to keep trying to draw the line in a different way to get it to draw it. .. Next it keeps wanting to switch to drawing an arc. HECK if I wanted to draw an arc I would simply select the freakin Arc tool!!  Seems AD has used this totally boneheaded "feature" since Inventor and it also seems that some people love it so they kept this stupid thing in there making using the drawing tools super painful sometimes.
and... I already looked... there's no way to turn this arc tool off from the line tool.

Dan Flemming

May 15, 2024, 8:08:34 AMMay 15
to TobyCWood, 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
I don't mean to laugh at your line-arc dilemma, I know it can become unreasonably frustrating.
I don't have a fix and I don't use Fusion, but this situation reminds me of something I did to a fellow employee years ago in Autocad.

There were 4 of us cad guys, we were networked and we could see each other's Autocad files.

I wrote automated drafting software to help the company improve work volume.

Anyway,
I wrote a "virus" like program that allowed me to change commands like LINE into ARC or CIRCLE or whatever I wanted.

When I changed the command, it would start randomly drawing 5-6 entities, then change itself back to original command!

Now Imagine your drawing a line, then all of a sudden an arc would just start drawing across the screen, erase themselves and resume back to the original command.

It might be the line changed into a text command, write 5-6 words then erase themselves and resume the original command!

Or course he couldn't PROVE what had just happened because the "command echo" (the log that maps everything that happens) was turned off, then back on after the incident occurred!

This guy really thought he was losing his mind!

Yeah, I know, it was mean and devious, sinister and wrong!

But it sure was fun watching him trying to explian what had just happened!

After a few weeks I told everyone what was going on, they all had a big laugh, he was relieved!

Just though I'd share, not saying that something simular is happening, but it is food for thought...

Kurt The 3D Printer GUY!

May 15, 2024, 10:19:15 AMMay 15
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
Yo Dan - that's Freakin' Hysterical!!! Great story!

Some years ago, and my memory of the incident is rather Foggy. But, I Did something kind of similar to someone's computer (as I was a Database programmer for like 25-30 years) - but, I had messed with someone such that I had somehow simulated the BSOD effect (Blue Screen of Death) - but, if I remember correctly - my joke didn't work as well as yours - sadly...

-K

Sophie

May 24, 2024, 4:18:08 PMMay 24
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
This sounds like a feature NX has.
When using the line function in Siemens NX, if you hover (only for a fraction of a second) in a particular "place", the straight line instead becomes an arc.
I asked the instructor about it, and apparently it's a "feature".... But I was the same as you, I thought, if I want a damn arc, I'll select a damn arc!!
I've since learned the angles or gestures that trigger this, so it does it less now, but still catches me out sometimes when I'm not paying attention.

Wonder if it's a bug on fusion, or if they've had a similar "epiphany"