Make tpu grippy?

Levi Smith

Jul 1, 2024, 11:48:19 AM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
So my roomba's tires had worn away. And I printed out some new ones out of TPU.

 I now have them mounted and Roomba likes to spin his wheels even more than he did before on the vinyl flooring. Is there anything that could be painted on or otherwise done ideally with not taking the tires back off that will make TPU grippier?

Thanks,
Levi

3D Printing Tips and Tricks

Jul 1, 2024, 11:52:22 AM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
Have you tried sanding the surface of the tpu?

Sean

Jul 1, 2024, 11:54:45 AM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to Levi Smith, 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
Use a Dremel or soldering iron to add "tread" to the wheels.

Levi Smith

Jul 1, 2024, 12:00:34 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to Sean, 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
The ones I printed out look like a bar tire from a tractor. I was trying to get more attraction on our thick carpet that it always has trouble with.

James Fackert

Jul 1, 2024, 12:04:13 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
or cut/subtract shallow slits.

Mark Abrams

Jul 1, 2024, 8:32:31 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to James Fackert, 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
What is the shore hardness of the TPU you used?

Anything above 85A will definitely be slippy.  You can try designing a pattern on the tires just like he would see on off-road tires on a car or bicycle to create some flexion that would provide more grip.

Kurt The 3D Printer GUY!

Jul 1, 2024, 11:01:23 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
Levi - I have a SIMPLE Solution!!!

Will be Slightly tricky to implement - since you don't want to take the wheels off. But, there are Rubbery types of Sprays that you can spray on to things. That rubbery spray may work for you. Alternately - and I'm trying to be Creative here - maybe spray on some kind of a semi-glue type spray onto the tires. Then - maybe drop on or dip in some sand to add grip. Finally - do that Rubber type spray. I know that spray exists - I just don't know the Details of it...

-Kurt

Levi Smith

Jul 2, 2024, 4:47:34 AM (yesterday) Jul 2
to Kurt The 3D Printer GUY!, 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
That's kinda what I was wondering, if something like plastidip would work...

Chris Albertson

Jul 2, 2024, 2:28:09 PM (22 hours ago) Jul 2
to 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
If you are going to spary on a coating, why bother to print new tires, just spay the old  worn tires.      The problem with spay is that it is so thin that it quickly wares off.

The trick with tires is using a light enough infill so they are flexible.   You need for there to be a reasonable contact patch area with the floor.   The tires need to deform but not to the point of being "flat".   Maybe start with a 1.0 mm skin and 10% infill.  Try it and then adjust.     If ther tires can't deform under the weight the size of the contact area is tiny and they slip.

Levi Smith

Jul 2, 2024, 3:04:35 PM (21 hours ago) Jul 2
to Chris Albertson, 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
Well, at this point I feel like I probably would have been better just getting aftermarket tires.
The reason I was trying to do it without taking them off again because I've already put these TPU tires on and while it's not a horrible job on this Roomba S9 there are a couple steps where I could see potentially losing and/or breaking something so I was hoping not to have to actually go through the process again.

The reason I was trying this in the first place is because I only have one small room that's hard floor everything else's carpet and most of it is quite thick. And while our old Roomba 980 went to the carpet just fine this S9 has horrid troubles trying to do it especially combined the fact that it's trying to map and figure out where it's going and it just it's completely lost and/or stuck all the time. I read at least one comment saying that they printed new tires and it started going much better.
 When we bought it the tires had pretty decent tread and it still spun a lot in the carpet. But even smooth those tires were sticky enough to not have a problem on the hard floor which is where it's base is.

James Fackert

Jul 2, 2024, 3:21:38 PM (21 hours ago) Jul 2
to Levi Smith, Chris Albertson, 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
Relax. In a couple of years your Tesla humanoid robot will use your regular floor vac to clean the carpets, floors, stairs, and everything!
And it will empty the bag, fix it if it breaks and let the dog out.

8o)=)

Levi Smith

Jul 2, 2024, 3:29:29 PM (21 hours ago) Jul 2
to James Fackert, Chris Albertson, 3D Printing Tips and Tricks
Somehow it doesn't instill me with a lot of confidence. But that may be because of the number of problems I've had with a number of vacuums over the years of the regular kind.
And then the robot ones not working super great either.

I just picked up a new shark Roomba clone for 80 bucks which has lidar. That is a huge upgrade, besides the fact that it can drive over the carpet as well. But it actually mapped the house in like 20 minutes and actually goes where it's supposed to.