Inputs for the phasing module

philil...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2021, 6:29:20 AM7/7/21
to 3D Genomics
Hi

I'm interested in using the phasing module, but I'm not sure where the input files come from.

I see run-hic-phaser.sh takes a vcf and mnd file. My understanding is that you:
- Contig WGS reads -> fasta
- Run juicer using contig fasta and HiC reads -> mnd file
- Run a variant caller using HiC reads aligned to contig fasta, and contig fasta as reference -> vcf file

From the Hoencamp et al. 2021 Science paper, I see you used DRAGEN to call variants, but I assume any variant caller will do (eg DeepVariant, GATK, etc)?

Does run-hic-phaser.sh create a fasta file that can be be used to integrate back into the standard run-asm-pipeline.sh? I can only see it creating a vcf and assembly file.

Sorry for all the simple questions.

Best wishes
Philip

Olga Dudchenko

Jul 9, 2021, 12:46:46 AM7/9/21
to 3D Genomics
Hi Philip,

You only need to contig reads if you don't have a reference assembly: if you are running for something like human you can use hg38 etc.

Yes, any SNP caller would do. We've worked with GATK and Dragen.

No, the phaser does not create a fasta file. It will dump an updated vcf file, with phasing information, and some phasing contact maps.

Best,
Olga