juicer script on multiple restriction enzymes

Chong Li

Mar 5, 2021, 12:20:26 PM3/5/21
to 3D Genomics
To whom it may concern,

I am pretty new for juicer, and was recommended to use this to do the TAD calling and loop calling. My first challenge is how can I run the script for multiple restriction enzymes? I only see all the examples showed for only one enzyme and still cannot figure out how to apply for four enzymes: DpnII, DdeI, HinfI, and MseI.

Any incoming help would be appreciated so much!

Neva Durand

Mar 5, 2021, 2:12:55 PM3/5/21
to Chong Li, 3D Genomics
For the quickest and easiest solution, just run with restriction site "none".

Otherwise, you will need to make your own restriction site file using something along the lines of this script:

And then send in the ligation junction in a similar manner of what is done for Arima (see line 206 here: https://github.com/aidenlab/juicer/blob/master/CPU/juicer.sh)

You can send in the ligation junction with the -b flag and the restriction site file with the -y flag.

Neva Cherniavsky Durand, Ph.D. | she, her, hers
Assistant Professor |  Molecular and Human Genetics
Aiden Lab | Baylor College of Medicine

Corina Simian

Jan 17, 2022, 11:18:46 PM1/17/22
to 3D Genomics
How exactly does that work? Do I need to run generate_site_positions.py for each enzyme and concatenate the resulting files? The script does not seem to support multiple enzymes at once.

Thanks!

Muhammad Shamim

Jan 17, 2022, 11:27:17 PM1/17/22
to 3D Genomics
The script does support multiple enzymes:

See the example for Arima below. You can add in your own mix for multiple enzymes.
There is a detailed description in the python file (lines 30-50) for pattern matching and wildcards.
patterns = {
    'HindIII'     : 'AAGCTT',
    'DpnII'       : 'GATC',
    'MboI'        : 'GATC',
    'Sau3AI'      : 'GATC',
    'Arima'       : [ 'GATC', 'GANTC' ],
  }

Corina Simian

Jan 17, 2022, 11:30:50 PM1/17/22
to 3D Genomics
Thanks a lot. That's very helpful.

Norbert Bittner

Mar 13, 2022, 7:40:06 PM3/13/22
to 3D Genomics
Hi Neva Durand,

do i need both the ligation junction setting (-b setting) (line 281 not 206 if i'm not mistaken) and the position site file (-y setting) or is the  -y setting enough?

Greets
Norbert

Norbert Bittner

Mar 13, 2022, 7:40:26 PM3/13/22
to 3D Genomics
Hi again.. And sorry to add to my previous question. I asked for both flags as in the Arima guide they only give the -y restriction site flag

Page 10 / Bulletpoint 11

Thanks in advance
Norbert

Jun Kim

Mar 23, 2022, 3:59:51 PM3/23/22
to 3D Genomics
Hi,
I have a related question. I'm also using Arima High Coverage kit. Is there an official website document stating the four restriction enzyme it uses is  DpnII, DdeI, HinfI, and MseI?
I emailed Arima but I haven't gotten a reply.
Thank you,
Jun

Norbert Bittner

Mar 25, 2022, 3:47:10 AM3/25/22
to 3D Genomics
Hi,

from Arima support i got the following restriction sites.

The 4 restriction enzymes included in the High Coverage HiC kit cut at the following recognition sites:

^GATC

G^ANTC

C^TNAG

T^TAA

^ is the cut site on the positive strand, 'N' can be any of the 4 genomic bases.

Greets

Norbert

Ace

Feb 29, 2024, 2:24:46 AMFeb 29
to 3D Genomics
Hi there,

A quick question regarding the multiple enzymes, if my data use a cocktail of enzymes that include HindIII, DpnII, and MboI, should I just add a new line after "Arima' and write it as a similar format so these lines become :

   patterns = {
    'HindIII'     : 'AAGCTT',
    'DpnII'       : 'GATC',
    'MboI'        : 'GATC',
    'Sau3AI'      : 'GATC',
    'Arima'       : [ 'GATC', 'GANTC' ],
    'example'       : [ 'AAGCTT', 'GATC' ,GATC],
  }

Thanks!