Update

dlen...@sbcglobal.net

Feb 11, 2012, 4:55:59 PM2/11/12
to 350CT-Bpt-Coal
Welcome Everybody,

I attended a 2nd meeting about the Bridgeport Coal Plant on Thursday,
February 9th. At this meeting, Claire of Toxics Action moderated a
discussion about campaign planning. We discussed the principles of
winning campaigns. They are as follows:
1. Set achievable goals.
2. Choose the right decision maker.
3. Articulate your strategy.
4. Secure the support of your community.
5. Build your group as you run your campaign.
6. Escalate your campaign over time.
7. Craft a message using the 4 C's of Concise, Compelling, Consistent,
and Controlling of issue.
8. Evaluate your plan periodically.

We brainstormed on concrete goals to see if there was a shared vision
for the group. Lo and behold, there was!
The main points of this vision are:
1. Permanent retirement of the coal plant.
2. Replacement of the plant's site with either a renewable energy
alternative or a vibrant community space. (The source replacing the
energy previously provided by the plant would not necessarily be at
the old plant site, but it would be green.)
3. Potential compensation for people who have been negatively affected
by the plant's pollution.

We formed subgroups to work on specific tasks (corporate research on
PSEG, outreach to Bridgeport residents, writing a mission statement,
etc.).

The deadline to file a request to the DEEP for a public hearing on the
renewal of the plant's operating permit is Monday, February 13.
Please click on the link below prior to Monday in order to send a
message to Dan Esty, demanding a public hearing on the future of the
coal plant:
http://action.sierraclub.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=227222.0&dlv_id=195693

We also have a petition on which we are seeking signatures but I am
awaiting clarification.

Thanks,
Diane