Re: 323GTX Group Abridged summary of 323gtx@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Terry McGrew

Sep 14, 2022, 8:59:41 PM9/14/22
to 323gtx
I might have to drain my fuel tank as well.
The car has been sitting for 3 years and I just started driving this week.  I'm putting fresh gas in it but it still bucks.

Terry McGrew
Santa Cruz, CA. USA

On Wed, Sep 14, 2022, 17:00 <323...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
s n <nowi...@yahoo.com>: Sep 14 07:36AM -0700

and warm ONLY. I went on a wild goose chase including checking all of
what you suggested. I have a second car that runs ...more

Scott Forrest

Sep 14, 2022, 10:40:18 PM9/14/22
to Terry McGrew, 323gtx
Not to discount the baseline of fresh fuel but it's worth mentioning any time the injectors sat static and what aged fuel may have been in the lines and passed thru the injectors.

I'm my case my tanks were drained before car was mothballed but the injectors needed cleaned a short time after after brining it back to life.  Twice.  First clean it drove fine for a while and then I found my ISC Valve had what I'd call hot temp poor performance, only when at full operating temp though.   After a new/used ISC was installed and confirmed fixing the hot idle problem a Colorado summer track day created another rough running condition.  This time it idled rough regardless of eng. temp. On a hunch the same 4 injectors went back to be cleaned and 2 inj's. we're found clogged or decayed and below spec.  Replaced those 2 and confirmed the 2 replacements were matching the previous 2 and flowed correct fuel rates and things have remained good since.  Quite a few tanks of gas have also been consumed so I'm comfortable with fuel system integrity again.

My point, the whole fuel path and related components should be considered.

Scott

michael reichert

Sep 16, 2022, 4:03:37 PM9/16/22
to 323gtx
Terry,
I was going to contact you only, bu I do not see how to send to reply to you only and I cannot find your full email address in the members section.
Anyway: If you are still stuck but can get over to San Jose I would take a look at it with you. I am no expert, but perhaps between the two of us we can come up with fresh ideas. It does not seem that there are many GTXers in NorCal  these days.

michael reichert

Sep 16, 2022, 4:05:20 PM9/16/22
to 323gtx
Hopefully I know my GTXs better than I know how to use Google groups as I just saw the Reply to Author at the bottom of the thread.

mfel...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2022, 4:39:45 PM9/16/22
to michael reichert, 323gtx
From my intermediate experience reading your messages, I do believe you are in the clear.  Your GTX knowledge surpasses your Google Groups knowledge.

Hoping you can assist Terry like Terry has assisted this group over the many years.

Cheers,
Mark
Indy

s n

Sep 21, 2022, 9:27:33 PM9/21/22
to 323gtx
Well, I got ahead of myself.  The miss is back under light load, and on longer trips, say half hour or more, it gets worse with the time travelled.  Will have to look at the other solutions stated in this thread (ISC, injectors themselves, whatever), and see what I can come up with.  Will keep everyone updated as things get worked out. However I will be delayed a bit as my clutch foot decided to break a bone, and may  be a while....

Terrence McGrew

May 22, 2023, 4:01:40 PM5/22/23
to 323gtx
Hey gang,

I was troubleshooting my fueling issues and I discovered a few things:

1) my car needs the starter bumped to get the fuel pump to start priming.

2) the fuel transfer pump Ohmed at 14M Ohms, so that's probably why it didn't work.

3) fuel transfer pump was subjected to percussive tuning, which brought it back to life, but I don't think it will last long.

4) does anyone have a spare, good working, transfer pump for sale?

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Terry McGrew
Santa Cruz, CA. USA

Bob Martin

May 22, 2023, 5:08:25 PM5/22/23
to Terrence McGrew, 323gtx
Any electric low pressure fuel pump can be used to replace the transfer pump.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone

s n

Jun 23, 2023, 5:19:20 PM6/23/23
to 323gtx
Well I "percussion tuned" (never used that term before) my transfer pump on the black car this week.  I also purchased a cheap ass 13 dollar pump on amazon, and now it will be a spare.  This is on the black car, which ran me out of gas as I coasted downhill into Grayling last year....  Needless to say, I let the light come on, then it went off, then on, off, on, off....until the needle got down to where a sane person would expect to fill the tank.  It took 10.7 gallons of premium, and I think the stated capacity is 12.5 or so.  So the transfer pump is working now on the black car.....now to get the white one running right which was the original gist of this thread.

I pulled the cat and looked inside, it is clear as far as I can tell, but the rear gasket was bad.  That shouldn't cause a hot misfire issue under light load though....waiting for rain to subside so I can road test the white one....

Terrence McGrew

Jun 23, 2023, 10:22:52 PM6/23/23
to 323gtx
I'm 90% certain the both of us are experiencing the same issue.
The stock xfer pump failed again, so it will be replaced by an Amazon.com special and some rubber isolator mounts.  I have looked into gerotor / Carter rotary pumps but will need to do some measuring tomorrow (I doubt it will fit in the stock location).

Even when the xfer pump was working, and the gas tank was confirmed to be free of the weird pink slime on the pickup tube sock, and new filter installed (old filter was full of pink slime), the car still doesn't want to run at cruising speed and the AFR will drop lean then off the meter.  Only comes back after a blip of the throttle.  Very frustrating, but I'm starting at the tank and working my way towards the injectors.

Protip:  Don't let your car sit for extended periods.

I'll try to post a vid (or link to a vid) of the AFR gauge during a steady cruise down the road and a link to an old vid I have of the car doing the same thing, but on the highway at a constant speed.

Cheers,

Terry