A Viable Financing Option

Imtiaz Ahmad

Jun 28, 2011, 6:43:05 AM6/28/11
to 300h...@googlegroups.com, chri...@300house.com
Dear Christian and all forum members,

I have recently came across a very good paper on micro finance, I have already sent this paper to Prof. Vijay. Through this message I want to bring it to the attention of all the members, to be considered as an option for financing $300 house. The authors (Prof. Ehsan Feroz of University of Washington) has put no restriction on the use of this model and can be implemented by any one in any geographical settings.

Kindest Regards,

Imtiaz

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 4:36 PM, <300house...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/300house/topics

    JMKO <jmko...@gmail.com> Jun 25 03:07PM -0700 ^

    You are of course joking, if you are serious about this discussion
    than let us set one thing straight, there is no $300 house possible.
    To continue in the same spirit as the JOVOTO Challenge will not get
    you closer to solving the housing problem. Let us set reasonable
    standards first and talk about the price after.

    "Ian Fraser" <ianf...@sydney.net> Jun 27 10:02AM +1000 ^

    Good morning to you -- nice if you added some background, qualification
    even, to your email.

    I promise -- I am not joking.

    You are entitled to your safe, all knowing, centre of your own universe
    opinion -- standards, what f#@&%*!? standards - I just came from a place
    where there is a $5 house , if $5 is all you have.

    There is one , maybe two designs I can see from the contest that I could
    possibly use in my project. They put me way ahead of where I was at before
    the contest in terms of having a design that is low cost and max house for
    the budget. If there is no answer here , then India looks to be a serious
    source of such design. I would like to see you tell the Tata Company "you
    are of course joking".

    I am hoping most $300 house entrants were not "joking" with this contest. I
    hope the designs will be re-worked, improved, tested and further developed
    in the prototyping activity and prove genuine and useful.

    Cheers

    You are of course joking, if you are serious about this discussion
    than let us set one thing straight, there is no $300 house possible.
    To continue in the same spirit as the JOVOTO Challenge will not get
    you closer to solving the housing problem. Let us set reasonable
    standards first and talk about the price after.

    > > 300house+u...@googlegroups.com
    > > For more options, visit the group at
    > >http://groups.google.com/group/300house?hl=en?hl=en

    And tell your friends!

    harvey <har...@harveylacey.com> Jun 27 07:02AM -0700 ^

    Ian, I congratulate you on your endeavor and wish you well.

    I do have a couple of questions for you.

    What do the Mangyan believe a house looks like? What does a house mean in
    their culture?

    The Philippines get multiple typhoons every year. The minimalist house that
    can be easily replaced after a storm might reflect cultural wisdom. Without
    the knowledge and materials to build a house capable of surviving such
    storms investing in a home is a waste of energy and resources. A permanent
    house might introduce too many problems at once for their culture to absorb
    and survive. Who are we to assume that their culture is inferior to our
    own?

    Ownership wouldn't be an issue in temporary housing where it is a major
    problem in permanent housing for instance. It would be interesting to see
    if their culture has mechanisms to accommodate private ownership of space
    and things. A permanent house owned by a family might create real problems
    if their culture has never considered it an option.

    Unintended consequences are real. We need to use real caution in
    introducing a solution because we might be creating problems that can
    destroy a culture. Think of Smallpox and what it has done to the indigenous
    peoples of the world.

    am prasad <reach.me@amprasad.com> Jun 26 04:36AM +0530 ^

    I am really unable to understand whats the fuss about.

    There was clear goal (Stretch goal in my opinion). The goal was sought to be
    achieved through a contest to bring out the best out of teams. Today we have
    several interesting options/ideas in the public domain. As a global
    community, we are much better off today in this domain than what we were few
    weeks ago. So, what's the fuss?

    cheers! amp

    harvey <har...@harveylacey.com> Jun 26 04:44PM -0700 ^

    Which of these ideas are you going to embrace and promote in your part
    of the "global community"?

    That's a fair question wouldn't you agree?

    cheers, harvey

And tell your friends!