Inspiration, Materials, Technique

Callie Wheeler

Jun 29, 2011, 1:47:43 PM6/29/11
to The $300 House
Please use this thread to share ideas and links surrounding
inspiration, culture, considerations, materials, and techniques that
can be taken into account for this project.

I recently ran across this Solar Sinter used to make glass in the
desert with a 3D printing technique.

Could glass bricks for a house be manufactured this way?

http://www.markuskayser.com/work/solarsinter/

Callie Wheeler

Jul 25, 2011, 6:13:41 PM7/25/11
to The $300 House
300 dollars is not necessarily a number set in stone. 300 dollars may
make sense somewhere, when household income is 100 dollars a year.
How about using 300 dollars as a proportional benchmark to build
houses that are functional and sustainable for a price reasonable and
relative to the income of the people that will inhabit the house.

Take this 20,000 dollar house for example. Built for the southern USA
it is small, yet spacious and incorporates some important cultural
features such as a deck and a front porch.

minus labor costs, the house would cost 13,000 for materials.

http://www.readymade.com/blog/design/2010/10/01/rural_studio_small_space_small_budget

That sounds like a lot, but for a family making 20 - 30,000 who has
enough money to acquire cars, buying this kind of house might be
accessible.

How could this Idea work for other specific areas?

Have other "need" areas been identified?

Callie Wheeler

Aug 16, 2011, 5:03:01 PM8/16/11
to The $300 House
http://uk.reuters.com/video/2011/07/11/bringing-light-to-the-poor-one-liter-at?videoId=216968892&videoChannel=82

Here's a great way to think about incorporating light into dark small
spaces.

Plastic bottles, water + bleach = lightbulb!

Callie Wheeler

Aug 16, 2011, 5:20:11 PM8/16/11
to The $300 House

lmorley

Aug 25, 2011, 11:27:08 PM8/25/11
to The $300 House
Some of the suggests from the competition could do this amount of
space much cheaper and better looking from what I have seen. The CEB
approach is very to look at.