Farr 3.7 - Radial Sail, Race Sail and Full Rig

Secretary 3-7 Class

Sep 29, 2021, 8:09:24 PM9/29/21
to 3-7C...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Just an evangelical reminder and a blast from the past for all 3.7 Owners, that these radial sails exist for high winds, juniors, lightweights and all those looking to expand their addiction when they might otherwise be kept ashore.

The attached WORD article by John Kennett says it all and not to forget the great work he did on it. I spoke to Derek Scott today, he is still ‘on’ for those. They are also class legal for racing within the measurement rule. To boost the wind limits, Silvana will most likely we’ll buy one for those days that are just too windy where she currently feels safer ashore. She used John’s one in the Lyttleton Nationals and loved it, she is in one of the photos. Whereas I’ll continue to crash and burn as normal to provide the usual entertainment.

Totally, at the other end of the scale is the Benny Butcher square top mainsail made years ago at Doyles in 2012 this has an enormous headboard and sail area; maybe a little bit too big that particular one.. But the message here is that if it is light winds or you’re heavier than most, then there is nothing to stop you buying a bigger non-class sail to maximise fun and enjoyment. There is zero work for measurers for a big sail and perhaps three days per year that you need to have a measured sail for class racing. But for those who don’t attend the NZL National Class Championship it makes sense to tailor the sail to the sailor and the venue. While I’m not that heavy, I’m personally considering buying a bigger sail for those days at Rotorua that are light where the breeze doesn’t arrive until past end of the day if I have had to drive nearly an hour each way to be there. Let alone the longevity of the Class, consider how inexpensive our class is compared to virtually anything else you can buy. The sails are key so if you have a good yacht and the sail is the only real ‘consumable’ item. So yeah; “I’m worth it”. There is no suggestion about a second class nor cannibalising our race fleet into smaller ones. YNZ only recognises one 3.7 Class rule. It could be that for the young guys that just keep on growing without limit, that they can hang around having fun for longer especially in club fleets. I’m sure lots of sailmakers would have different takes on unmeasured oversize sails, albeit to fit existing mast and boom. It could be fun and especially since you can’t easily take an overseas holiday!

https://scontent.fakl1-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.18169-9/425936_2834847307126_550217676_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=259561&_nc_ohc=-FaJBRazGxkAX8XWxye&tn=ZShEz1t5tQcX7F8I&_nc_ht=scontent.fakl1-3.fna&oh=52b5f7e6e0196881afed28833f3a4030&oe=617AE38F

Chris

Chris Mitchell
3.7 Class Owners Association

Mob +64 21 492006