One small snip for a man - and a bargain on eBay, too, if you keep reading to the end...

Edward Genochio

Nov 26, 2006, 1:00:28 PM11/26/06
to 2wh...@googlegroups.com
All good things must come to an end.

But not just good things.

Hairy things, too.

The countdown is on for the Totally Charity-tastic Tash Trim.

On Monday morning, Britain's Bushiest Beard* will be consigned to the barber-shop floor of history.

Monday morning, the 27th. Yes, that's RIGHT NOW, if you're reading this first thing back at the office after the weekend. There's not a moment to lose.

470 days after its last brush with a cut, my beard is going under the razor.

And all in the name of chariddy, mate.

Please, if you can, help me raise £2,668 for FORCE Cancer Charity - that's just 10 pence for every mile of my 26,680-mile bicycle ride from England to China and back.**

Many of you on this 2wheels email list have already been kind enough to make a donation to FORCE or the other charities I have supported during my journey.

But here's an opportunity for those of you who haven't yet.

You can make a donation online now with a credit or debit card at www.justgiving.com/2wheels4force - and, if you are a UK taxpayer, your donation will be topped up with an extra 28% in gift aid at no extra cost to you.

If everyone (including you) who received this email chipped in a couple of pounds, we'd hit the target of raising £2,668 for FORCE Cancer Charity.

(And if everyone who chipped in got a couple of friends to donate as well, we'd do even better. Feel free to pass this email around the office, the gym, or the pub...)

FORCE provides support to people affected by cancer. My charity beard-shave aims to raise money for FORCE in memory of Richard Mallett, a keen cyclist who worked as a mechanic and bicycle guru at the Bike Shed in Exeter.

Richard was one of the biggest inspirations behind my original "big" bike ride, from Exeter to Hong Kong in 2004.

Richard died, from cancer, at the age of 30, a few months after I began my bicycle journey to China.

Richard married Kim just over a year before he died. Recently, Kim wrote to me to say: "FORCE was very good to the both of us during Richard's illness and it is not until times like these that you actually know who is out there to help and support you during horrendous times."

Please sponsor my beard removal by making a donation today, in memory of Richard or of someone else known to you who has been affected by cancer.

The beard-removal is going to happen at Clyst St George primary school near Exeter.

An unruly band of small children will wield the scissors, and the whole thing will be broadcast by the BBC. (Those of you living in the south-west will be able to watch the procedure in all its gory gruesome detail on BBC Spotlight news; the rest of you might be able to catch it on the Spotlight link on this page.)

So, one more time then:

  1. Beard is going on Monday morning
  2. Want to raise £2,668 for FORCE
  3. You can donate online here
  4. Thank you.

For the Doubting Thomases among you, I have attached a couple of pictures of the beard, more or less as it currently stands - and I will post a photo of What's Left When The Beard's Gone on my website at www.2wheels.org.uk on Monday - assuming I survive the onslaught of small people and their snippety scissors.

Oh yes, before I forget: the beard is for sale!

Yes, you can buy your very own handful of trans-continental cyclist's beard-clippings on eBay!

I kid you not: have a look here.
(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280053740848 )

It's totally genuine, totally the perfect original Christmas gift for the man (or woman) who thought he (or she) had everything. And it's totally for charity, chaps. All proceeds go to Force Cancer Charity.

So, get in there, sponsor the beard shave, and then bid for your own handful of history! The bidding starts at just 99p - a snip, I think you'll agree.

Many thanks to all of you for your support over the past three years, and especially to the bunch of Exeter comedians who call out "Run, Forrest, run!" when they see me jogging in town. Sorry to spoil your fun, fellas.

Edward

* "Britain's Bushiest Beard" claim awaiting independent verification.

** In case you wondered, yes, ALL the money raised goes to FORCE Cancer Charity - NOT to my Edward-wants-a-new-bicycle slush-fund. This is not a sponsor-me-to-go-on-holiday venture. It's raising money for FORCE, pure and simple.

Donation page: www.justgiving.com/2wheels4force
eBay page: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280053740848

For more information about Force, or to make a non-credit card donation, visit www.forcecancercharity.co.uk

For more information about my ride, visit www.2wheels.org.uk

Edward Genochio
Beard/Bike/Bloke

+ Bored? Slideshow @ http://flickr.com/photos/15281353@N00/show/

+ The 2wheels website has just celebrated its 795,000th hit!
Join the crowds at www.2wheels.org.uk

+ Make a donation to Force Cancer Charity at www.justgiving.com/2wheels4force ===========================================================
last hours of a doomed beard - as spotted last week in exeter.jpg
the beard - as sketched in china.jpg