Welcome to 26th & King!

Frank Laub

Dec 16, 2010, 7:46:49 PM12/16/10
to 26th and King neighborhood watch
Hi everyone,

My name is Frank Laub. My wife and I just moved into 511 26th Ave S #B
about a month ago. I've known Angela before I moved and when I heard
she was robbed for a 2nd time, I felt I needed to personally do
something to help make our neighborhood a safe one. One of my packages
went missing and I believe they are related to the recent rash of
burglaries.

To that end I've begun to think about ways to help the police in the
investigation of anything illegal going on in our block. If any of you
have any ideas, please share them with us.

I'm currently designing a web form that can be used by anyone to
report any suspicious activity that can be fed into a spreadsheet.
Hopefully if we build up a log, the police will have more to go on and
hopefully lead to arrests.

I'm also looking at affordable video camera installations in the area.
I can begin with my house, but if others are interested, perhaps we
can form a 'network' of them to try and catch them in the act, or to
deter them from trying.

Matt Hughes

Dec 17, 2010, 2:24:12 AM12/17/10
to 26th and King neighborhood watch

Hello all,

I am MattOnJackson from the Central District News site and would like
to get together with everyone at some point to discuss neighborhood
problems and to get to know each other. We tend to become more
isolated as our technology level goes up and it would be great to form
a more cohesive network of people. There is much less chance of crime
in an area where most of the neighbors know each other - criminals
want to be anonymous. While I do know most of my directly connected
neighbors (I live in a 4 unit townhouse and do know all of them well)
I do not know anyone who is more than a house away.

I have a good amount of home owner skills I can offer to anyone as
well who needs deadbolt strikes or windows latches etc. put in. I
also do own a security camera that is at the front of our townhouse
units and it faces South toward the NE corner of 26th Ave South and
South Jackson street - aka The Seattle Median. I can definitely offer
advice on security camera systems. I highly recommend digital IP
cameras to anyone looking to put one in; the difference in quality is
tremendous. I am looking to upgrade to one soon but the camera still
acts as a visual deterrent. The down side is that standalone cameras
are pricey, but you can buy inexpensive 720p webcams for under $50
that give amazing clarity. You do have to plug them into a computer -
a downside if your home gets robbed in that they can take the evidence
with them, but still a great tool to give you an idea of what is going
on while you are not home. You do have the capability to watch the
system remotely.

I am leaving for Christmas for 8 days starting on the 20th but have
time to come to a meeting before I go if everyone else is up to it.
If not I hope I can get together with you after I return.

On a positive note, on my way to the Red Apple store I noticed a
police officer doing what looked to be a walking beat around the
Walgreens and two nights ago there was an officer parked at the corner
of 26th and Jackson for some time, so we are getting some additional
police presence from the East Precinct which has 12 to 13 officers
covering our area.

Matt

maemae

Dec 17, 2010, 3:43:37 AM12/17/10
to 26th and King neighborhood watch
After reading your message, I was wondering if you could you look over
your video footage for the night of December the 13th between 6 and 9
pm for any suspicious activity. I don't think your cameras caught it
but it doesn't hurt to look. I'm sure my sister, Angela, would
appreciate it.
Thanks,
Mar Muhlnickel

Matt Hughes

Dec 17, 2010, 7:20:23 PM12/17/10
to 26th and King neighborhood watch
Sure,

I would be happy to. I do not have a view beyond the halfway point of
Jackson street but I will see what was going on that night. Was there
anything that would be a hint to what I am looking out for?

mae muhlnickel

Dec 17, 2010, 7:39:08 PM12/17/10
to 26th-a...@googlegroups.com
at least 2 people in a car with a 32" flat screen tv in the back seat. beyond that we have no idea the time frame was 6:15 and 8:45 pm.
thank you so much!!!!
mae

Matt Hughes

Dec 19, 2010, 3:10:40 PM12/19/10
to 26th and King neighborhood watch
Hi,

I am sorry, but there was nothing I could see. It used to be a much
better night vision camera but I think the IR emitters are becoming
weaker or the camera is just not as great as the price tag represented
when I bought it 3 years ago.

Matt.