IM support in Kazoo

Mick Burns

Jun 19, 2015, 2:57:09 PM6/19/15
to 2600h...@googlegroups.com
I am quite surprised that IM interoperability in Kazoo hasn't got much more momentum (community-wise).
Erlang-based mongooseIM is probably one of the best fit here.  It can authenticate
users using an external REST API call and there must be also ways of provisioning a new domain
through APIs and exchange Kazoo user-status information via AMQP as well.

I've seen SIP MESSAGE (SIP/SIMPLE) handling brought over into Kamailio config files, but I
believe much more in adopting XMPP for many reasons.

Ideas, thoughts or contributions anyone ?

thanks

Darren Schreiber

Jun 19, 2015, 2:57:57 PM6/19/15
to 2600h...@googlegroups.com
XMPP support has been all but abandoned by Apple/Google/etc. and SIP SIMPLE/MESSAGE is not very much adopted at least in the US.

stormqloud

Jun 19, 2015, 4:15:52 PM6/19/15
to 2600h...@googlegroups.com, dschr...@2600hz.com
All the big companies pledged open implementations, XMPP was the best, as long as they had no users.

Once they built the user base up, then they walled the garden off as usual.

For teams and companies XMPP seems to still be a good solution.  Lots of clients available.

In a closed group like a company the interoperability with Apple/google etc is largely irrelevant.

tx

Mick Burns

Jun 19, 2015, 4:37:55 PM6/19/15
to 2600h...@googlegroups.com, dschr...@2600hz.com
Hi Darren.

Oh kay!
not sure what to say here... So what shall we be using then ?
Customers really wants it for sure and it's convenient when integrated with the VoIP solution so it gets closer to a unified communication platform.
IM is probably the topmost utilized function of MS Lync / skype for business in the enterprise.  There is even XMPP federation support built-in.

Google shut down Google Talk in favor of Hangouts and made sure it doesn't play well with federated XMPP clients anymore so that they get most users migrated in their walled gardens - platforms under their control.
Have a look here  https://xmpp.org/2015/03/no-its-not-the-end-of-xmpp-for-google-talk/
Facebook's chat, Google's Hangouts, Apple's iMessage  are all messaging platforms that doesn't allow federation anymore.

It's definitely not the end of XMPP though, and it's not being replaced by a new standardized messaging protocol.
Honestly, I don't care about facebook or apple or google plans with IM or XMPP.  I just want to offer a secure enterprise IM solution and ideally it will be integrated with the phone system accounts and interfaces.

Darren Schreiber

Jun 19, 2015, 5:31:51 PM6/19/15
to 2600h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mick,
Honestly while your email seems to imply this is a necessity for your business, that’s not what we’ve generally heard from others. The interest from others is much more around operator consoles, real-time eventing, more integrations, call recording, call center.

You are welcome to build this out but it’s expensive to do, and the lack of XMPP integration means it’s not a guarantee win in terms of reach, making it even more challenging. Plus without the XMPP support piece from other vendors you may need to develop a client now, or have a limited choice of clients to use. For example, Lync is a pay product unlike the other previous services which supported XMPP, limiting their reach.

We would welcome contributions, either financially or in code, to build this out but so far there’s been not a lot of interest here.

Mick Burns

Jun 19, 2015, 6:11:37 PM6/19/15
to 2600h...@googlegroups.com, dschr...@2600hz.com
You make salient points Darren.  Keep the focus to where it is most needed/requested.
I'll look into contributing to the project if my implementation is generic enough to fit most applications.

Darren Schreiber

Jun 19, 2015, 6:14:00 PM6/19/15
to 2600h...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,
To be clear, I’m not against at all an integration of this sort. There’s lots of use cases also once you link it to SMS.

I think 2600hz’s focus, though, is the telecom part. So while we’ve worked hard on SMS (and MMS) items (which are coming out soon), we don’t have time to ALSO build the clients, the integrations with Lync, etc. Hopefully we give enough building blocks people can tie in. I know some of the tie-in options are complex and poorly documented, so that will be our next focus (versus continuing to just build new stuff)

- Darren

From: Mick Burns <bmx...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, June 19, 2015 at 1:21 PM
To: "2600h...@googlegroups.com" <2600h...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: 2600hz 2600hz <dschr...@2600hz.com>
Subject: Re: IM support in Kazoo

m.l...@mergedcomms.com

Jun 20, 2015, 3:24:37 PM6/20/15
to 2600h...@googlegroups.com, dschr...@2600hz.com
We thought there would be lots of objections to lack of IM but it is rarely mentioned, I suspect IM is the most popular part of Lync because the rest of Lync is so shitty! On the rare occasion someone asks about IM for their company we point them in the direction of Slack...

If we were talking about an SMS enabled messaging client [in the user portal perhaps] that might be interesting [includes a revenue stream] but IM is high cost low value when it can be had elsewhere for next to nothing.

Talking of SMS will the coming soon feature include SMS alerts for admins for account balance, trunk fails, registration fails, voicemail / missed call summaries?
Message has been deleted

Manny at 3w

Jan 9, 2017, 2:31:25 PM1/9/17
to 2600hz-dev, dschr...@2600hz.com
Hey Darren.
First of all i want to say thank you for all the hard work you put into Kazoo, i really love what you have done here.
I would love to contribute my code when i establish something useful for the community.
About this SMS integration, as well as SIM Messaging. Is there any updates on this?
I am responding to a message you wrote a year and a half ago.
our use case is implementing internal SIP messaging from user to user or group, as well as allowing some of the users to SMS outside to the networks, probably using an API for SMS messaging.
Would really love your input on this.

Looking forward to your reply.
Thank you.