BitLocker has been cracked

Zenarchist

Feb 19, 2024, 9:03:28 PMFeb 19
to 2600 Australia

Found this interesting:

Works under two conditions:
  1. physical access required
  2. TPM seperate from CPU

Any and all discussion invited.

Kind regards,

Jason

ad...@reviews.wox.org

Mar 8, 2024, 1:24:11 AMMar 8
to 2600-au...@googlegroups.com
To be honest.  "Good"
Most of these US based cryptography systems are required by law to have a way for the US intelligence community to get in.    In addition to being able to get in if you have physical access, Microsoft keeps a back up of all the keys on their servers - even if you dont have a microsoft account.    The documentation "says"  you create a backup of the key when you setup the pc on first use, but in practical use cases that step was already performed by HP at the factory, so no backup is ever made at the end user level.

The annoying thing about bitlocker, is a single file table error, means you lose the entire contents of your hard disk in cases I have encountered non-booting windows machines with it enabled.

If it was not enabled, it would be a 30 second fix from the recovery console and typing "chkdsk c: /f"
With it enabled, you can't do anything but wipe the drive or install another one.  Even if you have the key backed up, if the table is messed up enough you still lose it all.

The people silly enough to buy S mode or surface pros and also use them for family photos, genelogy and important records generally are not happy to lose it all just because their battery went flat or there was a power interruption and it wasn't shut down cleanly.

And you just know the ones with microsoft accounts only have the first 5gb backed up on one drive.
Another useless thing, force everyone onto one drive, then all of a sudden it doesnt matter how big your hard disk is,   you may as well only have a 5gb one.

Bitlocker and onedrive can burn in hell.  :D

New and improved 2600... well..  ..we drew on some flames and polished it a bit..
--
Google - making sure, life is no more, than 1984...
--
Abbott/Cabinet: People and Businesses that require broadband should move to the city.
Hockey: The extra cost of fuel wont effect low income families, because they don't drive anywhere anymore.