Scammers exploit Ukraine to phish cryptocurrency

ad...@reviews.wox.org

Mar 4, 2022, 7:26:10 PM3/4/22
to 2600-au...@googlegroups.com
Just a heads up,

Seems to be a round of email spam with the common theme of
claiming to be raising funds to help Ukraine.

They try very hard to sound legitimate, but they fact they
even emailed me on an address that only would be available
on a scammers mailing list pretty much discredits them.

Even if they by some remote chance were legitimate (using a
scammers list of addresses.. unlikely or unethical at least)
chances are a million scamming copycats will soon follow

I've pasted a slightly sanitised version of the scam email
below with clipped coin address's so you cant "accidentally"
send them funds.
User agent was outlook 14, although the header shows it as
actually freebsd they appeared to be relaying it though
brazil [138.219.49.25]
(helo=138-219-49-25.host.sistemtelecom.com.br) but the
header was faking the address of an old mailserver that no
longer exists on my hosting service which I thought was a
bit funny.     Pretty sure Brazil has nothing to do with
Ukraine war victims.

From: fettsack<at>filz<dot>net
Subject: Subject: Help Ukraine

Stand with the people of Ukraine. Now accepting
cryptocurrency donations. Bitcoin, Ethereum and USDT.

BTC - 357a3Sc2Akf7EkqvP18osJFerwAPj-------

ETH and USDT (ERC-20) -
0x165C0909b0a9F02060b7976BABE4e2faa42-----
TRX and USDT (TRC20) - TYJpBKHzef86fmP8gj98Y7Fwwpz6W-----

It's an Official Ukraine Government request for help and
crypto wallets. You can verify on Google.

The people of Ukraine are grateful for the support and
donations from the global crypto community as we protect our
freedom. We are now accepting Polkadot and Litecoin
donations too:
$DOT: 1x8aa2N2Ar9SQweJv9vsuZn3WYDHu7gMQu1RePjZuB-----
$LTC: LVAuGQWSyfRtHixzUQXk8hMjKJqLm-----
More cryptocurrencies to be accepted soon. Every bitcoin counts.

Crypto community continue to support Ukraine.
This will certainly contribute to the Ukrainian victory as
well as support civil people. We will win — the best people
with us.

--
New and improved 2600... well.. ..we drew on some flames and polished it a bit..

ad...@reviews.wox.org

Mar 4, 2022, 9:13:24 PM3/4/22
to 2600-au...@googlegroups.com

Just a followup on this, they appear to be rolling random reply addresses from the same spammers email address list.

Getting bounces now from 163.com going back to my address too now.  Sender Source IP below.

orbs those fckers :)

--
New and improved 2600... well..  ..we drew on some flames and polished it a bit..
--
Google - making sure, life is no more, than 1984...
--
Bill Gates: 640k is more than enough for anybody
PC guy down the road: You will never fill that 10mb Hard disk mate
Abbott/Turnbull: 25Mbps is "more than enough" for the average Australian household.
Turnbull: Actually 10MBs is enough for the average household really.
Abbott/Turnbull: It is cheaper to put in FTTN, you get up to 24mbs/down and 256k up..  we can upgrade it more later...
--
Abbott: Being an Aboriginal is a "Lifestyle choice"
Abbott: Having optic fiber (FTTP) is a "Lifestyle choice"