How do you remove Google Installer/Google Update?

jeff...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2008, 4:49:12 PM9/5/08
I recently installed then uninstalled Google Chrome. Now Google
Installer is constantly trying to access the internet. I ran msconfig
and unchecked "Google Update" from starting, yet it still finds a way
to run somehow. If I go into the Task Manager and kill Google Update,
it somehow comes back from the dead and still tries to access the
internet. How do I fix this and why is it so hard to kill this
process? Thanks.

Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

Sep 5, 2008, 4:57:46 PM9/5/08

Go to Add or Remove Programs. Remove "Google Updater."

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

"You know you can indict a ham sandwich if you want to."
William J. Martini, Judge, United States District Court

Message has been deleted

zynteq7

Sep 6, 2008, 12:39:31 AM9/6/08
Download "Revo Uninstaller" and get rid of it

Bob B

Sep 6, 2008, 8:47:52 AM9/6/08

"zynteq7" <spam...@arteries.biz> wrote in message

Install Google Chrome: Uninstall
Print
Sorry to see you go. You can remove Google Chrome like any other Windows
program. Follow these steps:

1.. Click the Start menu on your computer taskbar.
2.. Select All Programs.
3.. Select Google Chrome.
4.. Select Uninstall Google Chrome.
5.. Click the Yes button in the confirmation dialog box.
The uninstall process will begin and all your Google Chrome browser and
application shortcuts will also be removed.

Alternatively, you can double-click Add or Remove programs in Window XP's
Control Panel or Programs and Features in Windows Vista, select Google
Chrome in the list, and click the Remove button.

Google Chrome leaves behind your profile information in case you wish to
reinstall in the future. To delete this information, go to \Documents and
Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome in Windows XP
or \Documents and Settings\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome in
Windows Vista.

Evul

Sep 6, 2008, 11:04:41 AM9/6/08

Google's own instructions neglect to mention that the background software
downloader will be left running, and set to auto-run at every boot.

To correct this pernicious behaviour

- go to the Processes tab in task manager and kill Googleupdate.exe

- in regedit, remove
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Google Update

- go C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application
Data\Google\Update\ and delete the executable manually

jeff...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2008, 2:46:46 PM9/7/08
On Sep 5, 3:29 pm, Evan Platt <e...@theobvious.espphotography.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 15:57:46 -0500, "Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries"
>
> <ni...@databasix.com> wrote:

> >jeffr...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> I recently installed then uninstalled Google Chrome.  Now Google
> >> Installer is constantly trying to access the internet.  I ran msconfig
> >> and unchecked "Google Update" from starting, yet it still finds a way
> >> to run somehow.  If I go into the Task Manager and kill Google Update,
> >> it somehow comes back from the dead and still tries to access the
> >> internet.  How do I fix this and why is it so hard to kill this
> >> process?  Thanks.
>
> >Go to Add or Remove Programs. Remove "Google Updater."
>
> You also need to remove it from Scheduled Tasks.
> --

Thanks, this worked. It's a shame Google does this. I really wanted
to try out Google Chrome but I didn't like the processes that were
constantly trying to access the internet. And then having to hunt
around to remove things... that was a headache. Inexcusable on
Google's part. This is the kind of stuff you would expect from Micro
$oft.

webm...@billsebastianforum.com

Sep 24, 2008, 7:53:32 PM9/24/08
On Sep 6, 10:04 am, Evul <evuld...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 13:47:52 +0100, "Bob B" <boob...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >"zynteq7" <spamcl...@arteries.biz> wrote in message
> Data\Google\Update\ and delete the executable manually- Hide quoted text -

Well, thanks, at least now I know what this is for. It's been annoying
me and my firewall as it gets rather persistant when I deny it. But as
far as removing it, I killed the process AND removed the Registry key,
and it still came back, and in the same session even. There must be
something else that's bringing this annoying process back to life.

dahi...@gmail.com

May 6, 2020, 2:32:07 PM5/6/20
WIN+R->taskschd.msc
disable/delete google update task (disable is better)

Do not store multiple instances of google chrome on desktop as shortcuts

george

May 9, 2020, 7:21:55 PM5/9/20
That is good advice