Compass bearings in Google Earth

Aardvark

Aug 29, 2010, 11:48:03 AM8/29/10
Not being an aficianado of GE, I wonder if it's possible to find the
compass bearing from one point to another using this application.

Anyone know if this is possible, and if so, how it can be done, short of
holding a protractor against the monitor screen?

--
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and

MJP

Aug 29, 2010, 5:18:53 PM8/29/10

"Aardvark" <aard...@youllnever.know> wrote in message

> Not being an aficianado of GE, I wonder if it's possible to find the
> compass bearing from one point to another using this application.
>
> Anyone know if this is possible, and if so, how it can be done, short of
> holding a protractor against the monitor screen?
>
> --
Tools /ruler
draw a line between the two points it will give distance and heading

MJP

Whiskers

Aug 29, 2010, 5:52:16 PM8/29/10
On 2010-08-29, Aardvark <aard...@youllnever.know> wrote:
> Not being an aficianado of GE, I wonder if it's possible to find the
> compass bearing from one point to another using this application.
>
> Anyone know if this is possible, and if so, how it can be done, short of
> holding a protractor against the monitor screen?

I just found this
<http://www.mobilefish.com/services/distance_calculator/distance_calculator.php>

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

~BD~

Aug 30, 2010, 3:39:14 PM8/30/10

That works for me! :)

Aardvark

Aug 30, 2010, 5:04:43 PM8/30/10

I'll give that a go. Cheers.

Aardvark

Aug 30, 2010, 5:10:49 PM8/30/10

Cheers, mate. I should think that'll do the trick.

I'm going to be setting up a directional TV aerial this week and need to
point it in the correct direction for optimal signal. I happen to know
the transmitter is 22 miles away, but nothing on the relevant site (link
provided in the instruction pamphlet that came with the aerial) gave the
correct bearing. On Google Earth the bearing would appear to be around
020 from here, but I want to be sure.

NormanM

Aug 31, 2010, 2:33:39 AM8/31/10
On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 15:48:03 +0000 (UTC), Aardvark wrote:

> Not being an aficianado of GE, I wonder if it's possible to find the
> compass bearing from one point to another using this application.
>
> Anyone know if this is possible, and if so, how it can be done, short of
> holding a protractor against the monitor screen?

Yes. Select the "Ruler" from the toolbar. Click (and release) on point "A",
then click (and release) on point "B". The "Ruler" box will show the
distance (straight line) and heading. Matters which point is clicked first.
"A" to "B" eastbound is 90 degrees, "A" to "B" westbound is 270 degrees.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

Erik Grøndahl