Genetic relatives

Carrie Haws

Apr 29, 2018, 11:01:16 PM4/29/18
to 23andMe API
I have recently had a possible first cousin identified who I do not know. I have never known my father and could not give any paternal information for comparison. I wonder if it is possible that this new cousin is related to me through my paternal side? Without having paternal genetic info are the only genetic relatives identified going to come from maternal connections or is it possible that it could come from both?

E Jones

Jun 25, 2018, 1:01:57 PM6/25/18
to 23andMe API
If you go to the compare DNA page of this possible first cousin you can scroll down to see what relatives you have in common with that person. If you recognize relatives in common then they are likely from your maternal side.

Even without knowing your paternal genetic relations you can still see connections from that side.