x-chromosome

Alejandra Goicoechea

Jun 2, 2018, 8:05:55 PM6/2/18
to 23andMe API
Hi,Being a woman, if I find a relative that shares some X-Chromosome segments with me, he/she is from my maternal side? or maybe from my paternal side too? Thanks for your help!

E Jones

Jun 25, 2018, 12:53:03 PM6/25/18
to 23andMe API
You have two X chromosomes as a women, one from your mother and one from your father, so relatives that share X chromosome segments with you could be from either side.
Males have one X chromosome from their mother and one Y chromosome from their father.
So if you have a male relative with X chromosome overlap, they will be related to you from their mothers side