Mission:Explore

Daniel

Aug 18, 2010, 4:29:02 PM8/18/10
to 21st Century Geography in Australian schools
I am one of the authors of Mission:Explore, a children's book that we
have written to encourage children to explore and see the world in new
ways. The book was inspired by the need to engage children with
geography and we wanted to do this in a way that would directly appeal
to them.

The book includes 102 missions and was described by the UK's
Geographical Magazine as "designed to be read, scribbled on,
illustrated, smeared, scratched and sniffed, it may just be the most
revolutionary geography-related book ever published". These missions
can be done by students independently, as mini field enquiries or as
homeworks. Many UK teachers are finding inspirational and useful.

Mission:Explore has just become available in Australia through
Borders.
http://www.borders.com.au/book/mission-explore-the-geography-collective/9196333/

We have also recently launched a website and iPhone app. These focus
on London at the moment but we hope will widen to other locations
soon. There are 20+ 'anywhere' missions on the website and it would be
great to see some of these being completed and mapped in Australia.
You can find both of these via www.missionexplore.co.uk.

We are very keen for Mission:Explore to support Australian geography
how and when it is appropriate. If you have any connections into local
or national press and can see a way to use the book to leverage a
conversation about the importance of geography we would be delighted
to see if used in that way.

Equally if you want to get a copy that would be cool too. All
royalties are invested in copies for kids who cannot afford their own.

If you have any questions please do let me know.

Many thanks,

Daniel
@geocollective
@missionexplore