Australian Curriculum: geography update

Malcolm M

Mar 24, 2011, 10:19:46 PM3/24/11
to 21st Century Geography in Australian schools
A Powerpoint on the progress of the Australian Curriculum: Geography
(not an official ACARA Powerpoint) has been posted as a Google
document at https://docs.google.com/present/edit?id=0AfCNqQFiOmGxZGMzODdnemRfNThkcjZ0eGRmaA&hl=en&authkey=CJDUkO0K
The Powerpoint has been put together to provide some information on
where the process is at with developing the Australian Curriculum for
geography and to provide a stimulus for discussion. In particular
discussion is on the '21st Century Geography in Australian Schools'
Google Group on slide 8 which highlights some of the issues being
considered by the pane at this early stage of writing the curriculum
i.e.

* When does Geography stop and sociology start?
* Defining the term environment.
* How to develop an engaging curriculum.
* How do we organise/structure the curriculum for the writers to scope
and sequence. Should it be organised via concepts, themes, processes
or ….. ?
* The content v’s process debate
* How important is the spatial concept in comparison to the concept of
place?
* What are the core concepts?
* Are some concepts organisers and others evaluative and/or
procedural?
* The degree of focus on sustainability in geography.
* The nature of sustainability in geography.
* The balance between physical and human geography.
* What is age-appropriate, engaging and challenging for primary
years?

Would love to have any input on these questions/considerations from
geography teachers in Australia.

Lowry, Mark

Mar 25, 2011, 9:26:12 AM3/25/11
to 21st-century-geography...@googlegroups.com