On-board artillery indirect fire

Chris Earls

Dec 7, 2023, 7:02:23 PM12/7/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Regarding indirect fire using on-board guns:

I wish to use my two on-board guns/mortars/howitzers for indirect fire.  During the Rally Phase of my player turn I gain radio contact and place an Artillery Request marker.  I specify that I am using both guns (let's say 105mm guns for this example) for indirect fire (they are in the same hex, so I can do this).  In the Close Combat phase the spotting round lands in LOS to my spotter.  In the subsequent Rally Phase of my opponent's player turn I keep radio contact, and I elect to move the spotting round three hexes but not flip it over to FFE.  After my opponent's player turn is over, I again roll and maintain radio contact in the Rally phase of my new player turn, move the spotting round 3 hexes, and flip it to FFE.

Q: During the time between declaring that I was going to conduct indirect fire with both my 105mm guns, and the time the FFE comes down, can my guns take any other action?  Can they direct fire at a target in LOS?  Can they fire smoke into a hex in LOS?  I had assumed they could not do any other kind of firing or it would interrupt the indirect fire mission that was in progress, but I see nothing to this effect in the SL or COI rulebooks.

Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder

Dec 7, 2023, 7:21:34 PM12/7/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
No, a gun "may not perform any other function while utilizing indirect fire procedures (63.341).

Chris Earls

Dec 7, 2023, 8:44:00 PM12/7/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Ahhhh  there at the end of the paragraph LOL.   I had overlooked that.   Thanks.