Optional COI rule -- tank radios

Chris Earls

Aug 6, 2023, 8:15:16 AM8/6/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
When using the optional rule governing tanks with no radio, how do we apply the rule that a tank without a radio can move normally if it can see a leader on foot or a radio-equipped and crew exposed tank?   Specifically, at what point during your turn do you determine whether the tank with no radio has or does not have LOS to a leader? In real life the tank without radio and the radio-equipped tank would move simultaneously, but not in a game. The rule about "following another tank" covers some situations, but not all situations in which the two tanks (with and without radios) lose LOS to each other during their movement.

Q: Do you check LOS once at the start of the Movement phase, and if he has LOS he can move normally regardless of whether he maintains LOS during his move? Or if the tank with radio moves out of LOS before the tank without radio starts to move?

Q:  Do you check at the moment the tank without radio starts moving?  This is important when the tank with the radio has moved first, and moved out of LOS to the tank without a radio.

Q: Do you check repeatedly as he is moving, meaning he must keep the leader or radio-equipped tank in sight as he is moving?  This seems a bit excessive.

Chris Earls

Aug 6, 2023, 8:39:12 AM8/6/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
We applied a common sense rule and said as long as both tanks are going to move in generally the same direction and end their turn in LOS to each other, the tank without radio can move normally during its turn as long as it started the turn in LOS to a leader or a tank with a radio.

Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder

Aug 6, 2023, 10:19:52 AM8/6/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
I would suggest measuring this in the Rally Phase, like Wireless AFVs (129.5) and OBA.  That is, you know who has freedom of movement before prep fire.  It also requires your command tank be CE prior to the start of the turn, which is appropriate.

montyj...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2023, 3:43:38 PM8/6/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Hi Chris,

If using the Optional Rule governing tanks without radios, I would suggest checking out the COD rules on the same subject (rules 129.5-129.53).  They might help you with the process.  If you chose to stay at the COI level, the answers to your questions are:

Q: Do you check LOS once at the start of the Movement phase, and if he has LOS he can move normally regardless of whether he maintains LOS during his move? Or if the tank with radio moves out of LOS before the tank without radio starts to move?

A:  Yes, No

Q:  Do you check at the moment the tank without radio starts moving?

A:  No

Q: Do you check repeatedly as he is moving, meaning he must keep the leader or radio-equipped tank in sight as he is moving?

A. No.

Monty

Chris Earls

Aug 7, 2023, 11:35:26 AM8/7/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Thanks,  I just picked up a copy of COD and I see the wireless rules under 129.  Much simpler