Hull Down behind a wreck 40.6

btrap2930

Feb 3, 2024, 3:07:01 PMFeb 3
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Does 40.6 apply if the line of fire goes through the wreck counter in the wreck hex, or must the LOF cross the wreck vehicle outline to get the hull down status?

40.6 Example 2 says hull down if the line of fire "crosses the wreck counter".  While closely-associated Example 1 says "crosses the wreck" for the infantry to get the +2 wall effect)

I am not aware of SQLA Rules Convention or Q&A stating otherwise, therefore as far as I know Example 2 verbiage is in effect.

jububyqh.png

Has been a while since coming across this situation.

Thanks!
Brian

Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder

Feb 3, 2024, 3:44:55 PMFeb 3
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
We should also consider 32.3 & 32.4 too.  I have always applied 32.3 with the wreck outline granting hull down status.  Example 2 is probably the odd-ball wording and suggest using the wreck outline.

Remember, the original rules allowed hulldown status behind any vehicle.  The second or third edition changed it to wrecks only.  This fixed a glitch where a vehicle could provide hulldown status while itself being out of LOS.

32.3 The LOS of any firing unit which crosses a vehicle outline is affected as if the vehicle were a stone wall on the second hexside of the vehicle hex through which the fire is traced (11.51). EXCEPTION: Vehicles never block LOS traced from an adjacent hex. Vehicles occupying the hex behind a wreck would be considered “hull down” if the attacker’s LOS crosses the wreck outline.

32.4 Vehicular counters must be placed in the exact center of each hex such that the Covered Arc is defined and no part of the counter extends outside the hex. Fire which crosses the vehicle counter, but not the vehicle outline itself, is not blocked

montyj...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2024, 6:54:08 PMFeb 3
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Hi Brian,

I would go with 32.3 - 32.4 in this case.  The 2nd example image in 40.6 looks correct to me, the wording is strange.

Monty

btrap2930

Feb 4, 2024, 12:29:40 PMFeb 4
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder