Mandatory overrun ?

Chris Earls

Nov 7, 2023, 11:08:54 PM11/7/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Nate and I talked ourselves completely around in a circle tonight on this rule LOL.

35.8  An overrun attack must  be executed against the  first enemy occupied hex moved into during the Movement Phase.

Q: Using only the SL rules,  is it mandatory that an AFV overruns an enemy infantry unit when entering the enemy hex?   Could an AFV enter a hex with an enemy infantry unit but choose NOT to overrun?  Does the word "must" mean he must conduct an overrun? Or does it just mean that any overrun must be conducted against the first enemy occupied hex if the AFV enters multiple enemy occupied hexes?

We were clear on the part of the rule that any overrun can only be conducted against the FIRST  enemy infantry hex entered, he could not pass through one unit to overrun a second unit.

Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder

Nov 7, 2023, 11:51:22 PM11/7/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Yes, an AFV must overrun the first unit it encounters.  So an opponent can throw a low value unit in way and you have to Overrun it instead of a further higher value unit.  Since the wording is strong ("Must" is must) there is no SQLA convention to change it (IIRC).  Consider a house-rule if it is too offensive.

I believe ASL changes this (NRBH).

Chris Earls

Nov 8, 2023, 5:33:30 AM11/8/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
ok thanks.   We went way down the rabbit hole last night since the earlier part of the rules says AFVs  "may" conduct overrun attack when entering a hex with enemy infantry.   Like two college freshman debating whether the earth is really round.

Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder

Nov 8, 2023, 9:19:47 AM11/8/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
A good rule of thumb - Pick the least advantageous interpretation and you'll get it right almost all the time.

montyj...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2023, 1:35:26 PM11/8/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Chris,

I agree.  At the squad leader level the rule is "must".   At later levels it is softened to "may".

Monty