Tournament Questions for Valley of Death

montyj...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2023, 5:40:47 PM12/20/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
To all,

The following tournament questions came up on Valley of Death.

Q:  Valley of Death says the Russians have to exit six tanks off the West edge.  The 2   SU-85 are not tanks.   Is this intentional, or should the Victory Conditions say "exit six AFVs"

A:  It is intentional.  The SU-85s are not tanks.

Q:  In Valley of Death the Germans meet the condition for using Bore Sighting un 78.7, just want to verify that it is or is not allowed in this scenario.

A:  Bore Sighting is allowed by the Germans.

I don't have any information that the original designer thought that the Su-85 was to be considered a tank for VP purposes.  This scenario was taken up and redone by Bill Tomson's Wargame Academy, but the Victory Conditions stayed the same.  The phrase "...exit 6 tanks..." is still there.  For this tournament, let's play it like it is written.

Monty

btrap2930

Dec 20, 2023, 6:42:17 PM12/20/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Monty-

I think you mentioned the NbW92 as part of the prep for battle for the Germans.  But it is not available until July 1944 per SQLA [64E] "[64E] Nahverteidigungswaffe Close Defense weapon are not available until July, 1944. [COI rule 64.5 states 'mid-1944'. ASL allows it starting July, 1944.]"

Just a heads up that the thing is not yet available. Our battle is August 1943.

Good hunting everyone!

Brian

Scott B

Dec 20, 2023, 6:46:12 PM12/20/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder on behalf of btrap2930
That was my bad, good catch and thank you!

Jan 21, 2024, 8:44:19 PMJan 21
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Hi, all.

I have a question regarding Infantry Height Advantage (IHA). Specifically, does it apply to exposed AFV crews? I see this question was asked (and answered) in the Q&A (91.1), but there appears to be further discussion on it in the comments section of my most recent version of the Q&A (SQLA_Q&A_20230306). So, I just wanted to confirm the consensus is that IFA is not applied in this case.

Thanks,
Mike

Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder

Jan 21, 2024, 10:10:37 PMJan 21
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
hi Mike,

No infantry height advantage applies to crew, per the Q&A.  If the current Q&A says differently, please let me know.

Mike_in_Texas

Jan 22, 2024, 2:34:59 AMJan 22
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Hi, Scott.

I was referring to a word version of the Q&A (I forgot who sent me this), which had some comments associated with this particular question. See excerpt below:

excerpt.png

So, I wasn't sure if this had changed or not. Sounds like it hasn't, so I'll assume no IFA for AFV (CE) crews.

Thanks,
Mike

Monty Jasper

Jan 22, 2024, 8:56:49 AMJan 22
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder on behalf of Mike_in_Texas
Hi Mike,

The Q&A is correct and lines up with GIA (later ASL as well).

Monty

Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder

Jan 31, 2024, 10:36:41 AMJan 31
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Hi Mike,

The rule stands on it own and, but for the Q&A, a crew would be subject to infantry height advantage.  We accept the Q&A because its been in play for so long and it lessens the draconian IHA rule a bit.  We didn't look up to the GIA rule (if you could call a note on the QRDC that) because 91.1 stands on it own; the wording is clear - "all fire."  We don't 'correct' the rules, just clarify them when ambiguous.

So the general rule is +1 IHA and the exception is CE Crews.