Hill 621 tournament -- special pre-game morale check

Chris Earls

Jul 21, 2023, 8:48:12 AM7/21/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
In the Hill 621 scenario all German units have to take a pre-game morale check.

Q; If a German unit fails the morale check and breaks, can it rout during the Rout Phase?  I assume it can but would like to verify.

David Garvin

Jul 21, 2023, 9:08:38 AM7/21/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Hi All
As a reminder, after the pre-game morale check, in the initial rally phase, all leaders that had failed and any squads/crews that had failed and are stacked with a good order leader may attempt to rally in the initial rally phase. Note that these units are NOT DM as they have not been fired upon since the previous rally phase.

If they remain broken during the initial rout phase, I refer to rule 13.4  If the broken unit is not in cover (woods or building), then it must move to such cover in accordance with the rules.Also, such units that are adjacent to enemy units must also rout. 13.46 says that a unit already in cover may elect to stay there, but can opt to seek cover elsewhere.  So, that said and based upon my limited understanding of the rules, any broken unit in the initial rout phase may (or must) rout as detailed above.

David

--

---

Chris Earls

Jul 21, 2023, 10:24:38 AM7/21/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Related question that just occurred to me  ---    if a squad is in a hex with a leader and the leader fails his pre-game MC, does the squad have to take an additional MC for the leader having broken?

Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder

Jul 21, 2023, 10:27:34 AM7/21/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
No LLMC for pre-game moral check, the Germans start with their full OB.

Chris Earls

Jul 21, 2023, 10:40:33 AM7/21/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
ok,  not trying to be pedantic but I have got two different answers to this question and would like to know for sure what is the correct ruling:

A German unit fails the pre-game MC.  He is already located in woods or building cover.   Q:  can he rout to other cover on the first turn, per the 13.46 Rout rules in SL?

13.46 says that a unit already in cover may elect to stay there, but can opt to seek cover elsewhere.  So, that said and based upon my limited understanding of the rules, any broken unit in the initial rout phase may (or must) rout as detailed above.

David Garvin

Jul 21, 2023, 10:53:04 AM7/21/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
I believe so.  Such is the risk of course stacking them!

David

Scott B

Jul 21, 2023, 11:41:35 AM7/21/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
13.46 applies to a unit the broke during the player turn.  The SSR 5.1 NMC takes place prior to the start of game turn one.  Note they are not DM but instead start the game in a broken state.

Jul 21, 2023, 5:53:12 PM7/21/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Hi Chris,

Your question was:

A German unit fails the pre-game MC.  He is already located in woods or building cover.   Q:  can he rout to other cover on the first turn, per the 13.46 Rout rules in SL?

Answer:

No.  Rule 13.46 applies to a broken unit that has been fired on during a player turn and is thus DM.

Alternately, a pre-game broken unit that is not in suitable rally terrain (i.e. open) must rout as permitted by the rout rules.

Monty

Chris Earls

Jul 21, 2023, 5:59:12 PM7/21/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
ok  thanks

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/2012_SQL/0254a580-d920-46bd-b29c-c22e5be491b7n%40googlegroups.com.