Mutli-shot guns and defensive fire rules

Chris Earls

Aug 16, 2023, 10:10:16 PM8/16/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Had a puzzling situation pop up in a game today.  My halftrack with 37mm gun and rate of fire = 2   waited until an approaching T-34 was adjacent to him to fire his first shot of defensive fire. It did no harm.  The T-34 ended its movement next to my halftrack after expending 14 of its 16 movement points  (the T-34 is beneath the CMG Malfunction marker in the image) .

Question ROF rule.png

69.85 Once a multi-shot weapon fires at a moving target during Defensive Fire, it may not fire at that target again until the target has expended additional MPs or MFs equal to or greater than 1/4 of its movement allowance.

Q:  The T-34 is considered to have expended all its remaining MPs in the final hex, (in this case, 2 MPS)  but that is not enough to satisfy the  1/4 of movement allowance requirement under 69.85.    So, by rule, my halftrack can't fire again at the T-34?  But he could fire his second shot at one of the BT-7s that followed the T-34?

And Q:  If my halftrack pivoted in the hex as shown to take his first shot at the T-34, could he pivot again to take his second shot?   70.7 explains pivoting for AT guns but I can't find a similar rule governing halftrack or SP Guns.

Chris Earls

Aug 16, 2023, 10:14:08 PM8/16/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Oh, and Q:  Just want to verify, the halftrack does not have to be in CE status to fire the 37mm gun, and he does not pay a buttoned-up penalty when firing?  64.47 specifies tanks and closed-top SP guns must be CE or pay a +1 To Hit penalty.  The halftrack is open-topped and is not an SP gun.

Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder

Aug 16, 2023, 10:27:54 PM8/16/23
to Squad Leader Tournament & Ladder
Q:  The T-34 is considered to have expended all its remaining MPs in the final hex, (in this case, 2 MPS)  but that is not enough to satisfy the  1/4 of movement allowance requirement under 69.85.    So, by rule, my halftrack can't fire again at the T-34?  But he could fire his second shot at one of the BT-7s that followed the T-34?
Yes.

 Q:  If my halftrack pivoted in the hex as shown to take his first shot at the T-34, could he pivot again to take his second shot?   70.7 explains pivoting for AT guns but I can't find a similar rule governing halftrack or SP Guns.
Yes, with +4 for each change of CA.   The TO HIT TABLE says "SP gun/ATG".

Q:  Just want to verify, the halftrack does not have to be in CE status to fire the 37mm gun, and he does not pay a buttoned-up penalty when firing?  64.47 specifies tanks and closed-top SP guns must be CE or pay a +1 To Hit penalty.  The halftrack is open-topped and is not an SP gun.
May fire BU without penalty.