A new Dance Craze trailer

Paul Rodgers

Mar 9, 2023, 9:24:09 PM3/9/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
What it says on the tin....

Pledge

Matt Appleby

Mar 20, 2023, 7:10:00 PM3/20/23
to 2-tone forum
More info on extras:-

  • BRAND NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM from original 70mm materials approved by cinematographer Joe Dunton
  • BRAND NEW sound mixes by Chrysalis Records
  • NEW DOLBY ATMOS AUDIO TRACK approved by Jerry Dammers
  • Original stereo and surround sound mixes by Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley remastered for this release
  • Rudies Come Back (1980, 34 mins): in this episode of the long-running BBC series Arena, music journalist Adrian Thrills explores the rise of 2 Tone. Featuring interviews with The Specials and The Selecter
  • Outtakes (1980, 17 mins): a collection of outtakes and alternative versions featuring footage that was ultimately left out of the final cut of Dance Craze, but has been recovered from various sources
  • Restoration demo (2023, 2 mins): a before and after look at the restoration of Dance Craze
  • Newly created English subtitles for the Deaf and partial hearing
  • First pressing only: Fully illustrated booklet featuring new writing on the film by author Johnny Mains, the film’s original press release and band biographies and rare promotional materials

Paul Rodgers

Mar 20, 2023, 11:00:17 PM3/20/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Cheers for that Matt. I spoke to Dermot at Chrysalis the other day. He is unsure whether any of the printed materials are limited edition. Certainly anyone who has pre-ordered should be getting the whole package.

Does anyone know the actual release date? It's so long since I worried about a DVD or Blu-ray release date that I don't know what day of the week they generally come out on.

If anyone is going to the iMax showing on Wednesday I have seats B12 to 14 so if you want to put a face to the same feel free to pop along and say hello. I'll be with the actor and Madness/2Tone fan Paul Putner and Kunt off of Kunt and the Gang.

Cheers,

Pledge

Matt Appleby

Mar 23, 2023, 7:49:21 AM3/23/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
I was there last night at the BFI - really memorable evening

The film is quite breathtaking being watched at that scale. Your eyes divert in every direction to try and take it in and it is, literally, like being on stage

Big turn out of 2 Tone royalty who did a really interesting Q&A after … Jerry, Buster, Pauline, Rhoda, Lee/Woody/Barso, plus Neville

Only oddity about the night was … nobody danced (well, me and my mate did but had to go by the exit!)

Wally

Mar 23, 2023, 7:51:55 AM3/23/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Saw some of the posts on facebook from last night. It looked the Biz!
Great to see a few of the band members together in attendance.

Lee Morris

Mar 23, 2023, 9:49:53 AM3/23/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
So that was you causing all the commotion behind me!! ;)

miap...@icloud.com

Mar 23, 2023, 10:31:42 AM3/23/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
We got moved on at first but then the next security guy just let us get on with it as long as we stayed out the way! :)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "2-tone forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/2-tone-forum/CAOsdx56Bs1-fe6kKTJu4rQoeXgNaJ_azRL_Qa0c52vJ1n5NGag%40mail.gmail.com.

Jon Russell

Mar 24, 2023, 7:09:55 PM3/24/23
to 2-tone forum
Bumped into Jerry having a pre event pint (me not him) at the Royal Festival Hall pre film. Not every day you turn round to see your lifelong hero standing behind you. Not sure why Neville didn't get invited onto the panel given he was there in the audience. Every band with a representative apart from The Beat. Given that the 2 surviving UK resident members seem to have completely broken all ties with their 2 Tone heritage perhaps that's not surprising.
Fascinating to hear that was one of the very first uses of steadycam technology now employed at every sporting event and every movie.

Wally

Mar 25, 2023, 3:38:11 AM3/25/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Great stuff Jon!
It was great to see the photos of members of the bands together and yes, a pity there was no one there from The Beat. Roger would have been sure to be there if he was still with us. I also thought that the 2 Fine Young Cannibals wanted nothing to do with The Beat, but David Steele did a few interviews on The Beat for the Herbert Gallery 2 Tone exhibition in 2021. https://culturespacecoventry.com/two-tone

Jon Russell

Mar 25, 2023, 7:02:57 AM3/25/23
to 2-tone forum
Thanks for the link Wally. I'd planned to visit that exhibition when it was on but covid unfortunately had other ideas. Dave Wakeling did get a shout out from the panel with Jerry taking the mick out of his musical note earring! It was great to see such harmony across the bands still in existence despite the many fallings out within the bands through the years.
I did get to visit the 2-Tone village for the first time this week while I was in the UK (the night after seeing Roddy and Neville at the Rialto) and spent most of the time drooling over some of the rarest vinyl. I very nearly bought another copy of Dance Craze despite having it on pre order on Wednesday so that I could get it signed by the collected artists. We are unlikely to see them gathered under the same roof again unless someone decides to stage a Dance Craze 2.

Matt Appleby

Mar 28, 2023, 2:49:16 AM3/28/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Having finally received all my goodies today (the whole lot!), I have to say it’s a really fantastic reissue

On 25 Mar 2023, at 11:03, Jon Russell <jr.jon...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the link Wally. I'd planned to visit that exhibition when it was on but covid unfortunately had other ideas. Dave Wakeling did get a shout out from the panel with Jerry taking the mick out of his musical note earring! It was great to see such harmony across the bands still in existence despite the many fallings out within the bands through the years.

Peter Walsh

Mar 28, 2023, 2:53:28 AM3/28/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Good stuff Matt,
yeah, they've really outdone themselves with this issue.
Arguably the most exciting 2 Tone related release in many a year.

--
mov: 687954312

Paul Rodgers

Mar 31, 2023, 2:13:34 AM3/31/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
It's great looking and I've only spotted one typo in the vinyl set. Apparently the artwork had to be done really quickly. See if you can spot it...

Pledge

Matt Appleby

Mar 31, 2023, 5:54:08 AM3/31/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Is it The Bodysnatchers concert date on the original live LP? (if not they played the Electric Ballroom on both 27 March and 27 May)

The poster also states “Chrysalis presents” versus “present” on the original

It took me a while to work out the (deliberate) anomaly on Nite Klub film vs album versions being different lengths. There is a seamless edit midway through that cuts out the band intros on the film version

On 31 Mar 2023, at 07:13, Paul Rodgers <medod...@gmail.com> wrote:

Message has been deleted

Michael Cowan

Apr 4, 2023, 2:23:45 AM4/4/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
The hype sticker on the front refers to the original 14 track album - but there are 15 tracks.

Lee Morris

Apr 4, 2023, 2:35:22 AM4/4/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
At least it's in keeping with 2 Tone tradition with the misprints...

On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 at 07:23, 'harr...@googlemail.com' via 2-tone forum <2-tone...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
The hype sticker on the front refers to the original 14 track album. But unless my maths is very bad, there are 15 tracks.

Paul Rodgers

Apr 4, 2023, 10:41:23 AM4/4/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
I didn't spot the one on the hype sticker.

The LPs and its outer box copyright details is to 'Chrysalis Recorded Limited'. Should be 'Records'.

There's talk on wikipedia of an error on the blu-ray at the start of Inner London Violence. I am not sure if it is a band error or a mistake with the blu-ray. I know a couple of changes had to be made to the film once it was restored. Let's just say that some bits of 'audience participation' had to be cut and replaced with alternate footage. Whether this is what affected the Bad Manners into I don't know.

Pledge

On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 at 07:23, 'harr...@googlemail.com' via 2-tone forum <2-tone...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
The hype sticker on the front refers to the original 14 track album. But unless my maths is very bad, there are 15 tracks.

Lee Morris

Apr 4, 2023, 11:06:20 AM4/4/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
There's an extra drum beat at the start of "Inner London Violence".

Paul Rodgers

Apr 4, 2023, 5:50:42 PM4/4/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Yep. Not sure at the moment if that is a band error or a blu-ray error. It's hard to tell. Considering the problems and delays in changing layers on many blu-rays and DVDs it's probably forgivable.

Paul Rodgers

Apr 4, 2023, 5:52:32 PM4/4/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
It's not on Spotify on the audio so I assume it is a blu-ray error.