Terry Hall

Paul Rodgers

Dec 19, 2022, 1:28:27 PM12/19/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Just after I sent my email I got a message saying keep it to yourself.

Lee Morris

Dec 19, 2022, 1:33:15 PM12/19/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Gobsmacked?

On Mon, 19 Dec 2022, 18:28 Paul Rodgers, <medod...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just after I sent my email I got a message saying keep it to yourself.

Paul Rodgers

Dec 19, 2022, 1:39:47 PM12/19/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Yes.

I was lucky enough to meet him a few times. The first was in Newcastle in 1994. Four years later he remembered having met me and my mate in Newcastle. I was blown away by that.  He was always good for a chat whenever I bumped into him at other people's gigs in London.

Pledge

Lee Morris

Dec 19, 2022, 1:41:22 PM12/19/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
I sadly never had the pleasure, despite trying a number of times!!

Jason Needham

Dec 19, 2022, 1:43:56 PM12/19/22
to 2-tone forum
Hope its not true. He lived near me for years in a little village in the Peak District called Hayfield.

miap...@icloud.com

Dec 19, 2022, 2:09:20 PM12/19/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Still not much in social media - wishful thinking that it might be a false rumour?

Brings back memories of Brad sadly pass

Grahame Simpkins

Dec 19, 2022, 2:59:40 PM12/19/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
What’s the latest news then?

Sent from my iPhone

Paul Rodgers

Dec 19, 2022, 3:16:31 PM12/19/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Can we leave it until his family makes an announcement?

I was told, just after emailing the group not to tell anyone.

It came from a very good source.

Pledge

Grahame Simpkins

Dec 19, 2022, 6:01:16 PM12/19/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
OMG. Just seen the BBC news. RIP.

Sent from my iPhone

Paul Rodgers

Dec 19, 2022, 6:16:43 PM12/19/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I found out by accident about 5 hours ago from the boss of Chrysalis Records. He thought I knew already.

Apparently he died yesterday (Sunday). He had been too ill to take part on the forthcoming Chrysalis Records Fun Boy Three box set, but they didn't know he was that bad.

I'm absolutely gutted, as I am sure most (if not all) people on this forum will be.

Wally

Dec 20, 2022, 1:18:32 AM12/20/22
to 2 Tone Records
Very sad to hear this news confirmed. Whatever our feelings about the reformed Specials, the man made a huge impression on our lives.

Paul Rodgers

Dec 20, 2022, 3:48:12 AM12/20/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
I am so glad I went to The Specials' gig local to me last summer. I hadn't seen them live since Roddy left. At least I got to see Terry sing one more time.

One of my mates summed it up best, I think: Not Enough, Too Young.

May he rest in peace, knowing he was loved by many and influenced/soundtracked millions more.

Pledge

Kevin Barker

Dec 20, 2022, 8:17:52 AM12/20/22
to 2-tone forum
Very sad and unexpected, woke to hear the news on the radio this morning.

I did get to meet Terry briefly about 4 years ago, he was doing a DJ set in my town, and kindly signed a few items for me in between flipping discs.

An iconic front man to the band.

Rest In Peace Terry

jason

Dec 20, 2022, 11:25:42 AM12/20/22
to 2-tone forum
Shocking news.  And him the youngest Special too.

And it had to happen.  The vultures are now flogging signed items on FleaBay at super inflated prices.  Jesus, some people have no soul.

Michael Cowan

Dec 20, 2022, 12:19:05 PM12/20/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Such sad news. There have been some great tributes to Terry on Facebook and Twitter today. I loved Damon Albarn playing Friday Night, Saturday Morning on the piano.

But I also saw this morning that signed copies of Protest Songs which has been selling for £40 to £80 recently, suddenly had asking prices of £100 to £200. It seems to have gotten worse since then, with prices for other signed items now being listed at £300 to £400. Let's hope no-one falls for this crass opportunism, and they remain unsold.

Raf Muz

Dec 20, 2022, 5:06:00 PM12/20/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
The Specials. Terry. This is what happened.

We had it all planned out. Make the album we were going to do in 2020 – a reggae album.
Record in Los Angeles in November. We had the studio booked, flights paid for, accommodation sorted. Roger Rivas from The Agrolites was going to co-produce. Shepard Fairey was going to do the cover. Lynval, still recovering from his spinal surgery earlier in the year, was over in the UK and raring to go. Terry had the framework for 8 tunes. Confidence was high. We were set to meet up with Nikolaj and make magic. This was in September. Terry e-mails everyone and says he’s in bed with a stomach bug and can’t do the first week of pre-production sessions. No big deal, we can knock everything back a week. We’re not due to fly out until November 4th. The next week, Terry is no better and is in hospital. There’s not much we can do except wait for him to get better. Sunday October 2nd and I get a phone call from Manager Steve.
And everything turns to shit.
Terry’s illness is a lot worse than we thought.
He has been diagnosed with cancer of the pancreas which has spread to his liver.
This is serious. Like life-threatening serious.
He has developed diabetes due to his pancreas being attacked. This has to be treated first, then it’s a regime of chemotherapy.
There is nothing anyone can do. Everything is put on hold.
Terry is emphatic that no-one be told about this. If anyone asks, he’s managing his diabetes.
The chemo treatment starts favourably but it seems that it would be March 2023 at the earliest before we’d be in any position to work. He is in and out of hospital to stabilise the diabetes issue and also to manage pain.
It then goes quiet.
Beginning of December and reports are not good. Terry has lost a lot of weight and is very frail. His friend Ian Broudie visits and phones Manager Steve. He fears that Terry is slipping away.
15th December and Manager Steve drives up to London to visit. He calls me on his return journey and says things are not looking promising. Terry is dying. The next day he is put on morphine and is more-or-less unconscious for most of the time. I thought it would be best for me to go and visit but Lindy, his wife, advises against it. She has held her phone to Terry’s ear so that his sisters and Lynval can say their goodbyes. She suggests I do the same. So, I did. It was tough.
Terry died around half past 5 the next evening, Sunday 18th December.
The world has lost a unique voice and I have lost a good friend.
Horace.

Peter Walsh

Dec 21, 2022, 6:46:35 AM12/21/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Very moving letter from Horace. Pancreatic cancer is said to be a really tough one to come back from, poor guy.
A lot of very poignant messages about Terry and The Specials on social media.

mov: 687954312

Jon Russell

Dec 22, 2022, 5:27:03 AM12/22/22
to 2-tone forum
The outpouring of condolences across social media has been widespread and incredibly moving. I suppose it's indicative of my age and political sensibilities given who I follow on Twitter but people you would never expect to be Specials fans have been paying their respects. Really does demonstrate how much Influence the 2 Tone movement had in the brief time it was central to British youth culture and how much Terry was respected and revered as an artist and the voice of my generation. So very sad to lose him when there was so much more to come.

jason

Dec 22, 2022, 12:38:40 PM12/22/22
to 2-tone forum
I was surprised at some of the people who said they were fans of The Specials.  Boy George, Matt Goss and Timmy Mallet to name just a few.

Here is a a radio show Timmy Mallet recorded with Terry Hall in 1985

Some nice touches in Coventry too.

Terry2.JPG

Terry1.JPG

Good to see someone is a fan of the second album...

Kevin Barker

Dec 29, 2022, 2:08:44 PM12/29/22
to 2-tone forum
As the message from Horace says Terry had 8 tunes ready to record, I hope the remaining members still consider recording these in due time.

They could be recorded with guest vocalists, maybe friends of Terry's (Ian Broudie etc) and released as a tribute to Terry?

Paul Rodgers

Dec 29, 2022, 4:16:35 PM12/29/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
It's a tough one.

There are already at least two Don Letts songs due next year that Terry collaborated on and another by Le Volume Coubre is rumoured.

The Complete Fun Boy Three box set (5 CDs and a DVD) contains a number of unreleased songs and very different mixes (96 Tears, The Pressure of Life- US single versions, monitor mixes for The Tunnel of Love and Things We Do). There's similar coming for The Colour Field (similar format) which should include loads of unreleased stuff.

Do we need more Specials stuff? I can't say, but if Terry had created any guide vocals I would like these to be on any release at the very least as backing vocals. Ian Broudie might be a good call, but I'm not sure he could do reggae. I wonder whether Damon Albarn might get involved?

Meantime I've searched around the dusty bits of my mind to come up with a playlist on Spotify of as many of Terry's obscure collaborations as I can find. It is nowhere near complete (the whole album by Vegas and another Dave Stewart album, Sly Fi, are totally missing from there as is the All Kinds of Everything duet with Sinead O'Connor). Join over 510 others in listening to it here:  https://bit.ly/3I2kJju

Pledge

JUKESKA

Dec 29, 2022, 4:29:52 PM12/29/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
I had similar thoughts. And Damon Albarn would be the obvious choice, having a similar tone to Terry. Who knows, if LG & HP think it’s viable, it may be a fitting tribute to Terry. I’m sure there would be a number of artists that would want do some vocals, if asked.