Specials Number 1

Paul Rodgers

Dec 4, 2022, 6:03:38 PM12/4/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if anyone noticed, not even Dermot at Chrysalis had until I told him, but...

The Specials are number one of the UK vinyl singles chart with Friday Night Saturday Morning this week and it is also number 3 in the physical singles chart too. Presumably the titles outselling it are available on CD and or tape? Ghost Town is also number 54 in this latter chart.

So that leaves the strange position that BOTH Ghost Town and its B side Friday Night Saturday Morning (instrumental) have been number one of the vinyl singles charts in the last 2 years.

I jokingly suggested to Dermot that he needs to release Why asa standalone single in Record Store Day next year to see if they can complete the Ghost Town hattrick.

Here are the charts:

Vinyl singles: https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/vinyl-singles-chart/
Physical Singles: https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/physical-singles-chart/
Singles Sales: https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-sales-chart/ *

*This chart includes downloads, but there are no downloads.

Cheers,

Pledge

jason

Dec 5, 2022, 4:24:50 AM12/5/22
to 2-tone forum
That is a bit nuts when you think about.  What does the version of Friday Night Saturday Morning sound like?  My copy hasn't arrived yet and I have no means of playing it when it does.

It would be great to see a release of Ghost Town in it's original format complete with Terry Hall's extra verse.  I am sure either John Collins or Chrysalis must have it sitting somewhere gathering dust.

Slipping my anorak on Paul I am sure you realise there was no B-side to Ghost Town, it was a double A side, or should that be triple A side?

Paul Rodgers

Dec 5, 2022, 6:51:48 AM12/5/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jason,

I think we're all in the same boat. Mine hasn't arrived either. And no record player. Haven't heard any of the RSD releases of the last few years. I must ask Dermot if he can sort me out MP3s or FLACS of the releases.

I didn't know there was another verse to Ghost Town. I wonder if it turns up anywhere on the FB3 box set? There are a few lyrics on there that didn't ever get released. I need to listen to it with headphones on to see if any of them are Ghost Town-ish.

We're all friends here. I assumed everyone would know that I was using b side as a layman's term. Strictly speaking I guess it was an EP, even though it played at 45rpm... To be fair I am not sure my anorak is ever off!

Pledge

jason

Dec 5, 2022, 9:11:51 AM12/5/22
to 2-tone forum
Good call about the EP!!!

John Collins has stated he removed congas and Terry Hall's extra verse.  Luckily I have discovered a website which offers detailed insight of the producer's work during the recording session:

As for the lyrics on the verse in question, this appeared in an edition of the 2 Tone Fan Club Newsletter released just prior to Ghost Town

Ghost Town Toast.jpg

Simon

Dec 5, 2022, 11:07:24 AM12/5/22
to 2-tone forum
Hi some of the recent RSD 2 tone releases are available on you tube...
Links to a couple of em..