Best of 2 Tone HMV exclusive

Jon Russell

Jun 19, 2023, 6:50:20 AM6/19/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
https://hmv.com/store/music/vinyl/best-of-two-tone-(hmv-exclusive)-the-1921-centenar

Hadn't seen this mentioned on here apologies if already linked. Any info about how and why this got chosen for an exclusive HMV re release?

Kevin Barker

Jun 20, 2023, 2:46:52 AM6/20/23
to 2-tone forum
In the description on the HMV website it says ' 2021 marked a full century since the first hmv store opened its doors at 363 Oxford Street in London, July 24 2021 saw us celebrate our 100th birthday, in style with a brand new and exclusive range of limited edition vinyl just for you...

The 1921 Centenary Edition range, for which we have carefully curated a selection of the finest albums and soundtracks from the last 100 years and had them specially pressed onto some beautiful coloured vinyl'

So that'll be the reason it's exclusive to HMV

miap...@icloud.com

Jun 21, 2023, 8:22:26 AM6/21/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Slightly curious release this

It’s billed as 100 years of HMV which was 2021 but the copyright is listed as 2023. I had presumed (wrongly) this was produced in 2021 but then held back because of COVID or some other reason

It’s not listed as 2 Tone Records on the spine — or at least on the obi-strip (I haven’t removed all the cellophane). We probably all collect for slightly different reasons but unless it’s listed as a 2 Tone Records release, I’m not so interested!

Also, the change of track ordering for the 2014 reissue makes the 1993 original more interesting

Paul Rodgers

Jun 21, 2023, 12:02:00 PM6/21/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

It looks like this is going to be an annual thing. They did Absolutely in 2021 or 2022.

I slid min out of the shrink wrap far enough to look at the spine. It doesn't mention 2 Tone.

Annoyingly my local HMV (Bluewater in Kent) didn't stock it, so after a detour there that nearly made me late for a Potato 5 gig in King's Cross on Saturday I ended up having to order it online. Arrived today.

So now there is the 2 Tone original, the Parlophone version from 2014, the Chrysalis version from a couple of years back and now this HMV exclusive on vinyl.

Pledge

Matt Appleby

Jun 21, 2023, 12:08:24 PM6/21/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
I managed to get mine online

Also slightly disappointed there was no new inner sleeve but I think this just highlights how good the recent official reissue programme has been (which this feels outside of)

Lots of complaints about reissues amongst music fans but I think Dermot/Chrysalis deserve a lot of credit for the thoughtful treatment of the 2 Tone catalogue, particularly for Dance Craze

Paul Rodgers

Jun 21, 2023, 2:27:46 PM6/21/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

I just heard back from Dermot. HMV had 1000 of these. There are another 2000 worldwide/Europe etc. (ie not UK, where it is HMV exclusive) without the OBI. Dermot has just confirmed the overseas ones have a hype sticker notifying buyers of the clear vinyl aspect of this edition.

Have you seen the Fun Boy Three announcement? It's the box set and 2 x coloured vinyl LPs which were due to be released back in March, but was delayed following Terry's sad passing. I think that is the benchmark by which CD reissues should be measured. Short of having multiple takes and outtakes and studio chat (like the Beach Boys' box sets) it is fairly comprehensive.

I'd like to see more of that sort of thing for the 2 Tone bands. Quite how much demand there I don't know.

Dermot has just wound me up by pretending that a new version of More Specials is coming. He admitted he was joking.

There might be other Two Tone vinyl stuff to come, however.

Pledge

Michael Cowan

Jun 21, 2023, 2:45:54 PM6/21/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
20230617_140030.jpg

Raf Muz

Jun 22, 2023, 4:34:03 AM6/22/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
Do you know when it will be released worldwide/Europe?
Thanks,
Raphael

--
LargePrefPlaceholder-XKUz1MEJBwkOM

Paul Rodgers

Jun 23, 2023, 3:17:19 AM6/23/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Hi Raphael,

I'm not sure. I think HMV have an exclusive period to start with. I have already looked at French stores, such as Fnac and Amazon, but haven't seen it listed there. However the information that it will be released in Europe/Rest of the World comes direct from Dermot James at Chrysalis.

Cheers,

Pledge