2 Tone Gold, Silver Disc's (BPI Originals)

JUKESKA

Jan 13, 2022, 7:42:21 AM1/13/22
to 2-tone forum
Anyone have any of these?
I have a Gold "Too Much Pressure LP" & a Silver "Gangsters" and are amongst my prized possession's, and are the ultimate display items.

Having read the page on 2 Tone Info, I was surprised to find that "Rat Race" didn't hit the 250,000 sales to make silver and that only "Ghost Town" made it to 500,000 for Gold.

Also surprising that neither Specials LP's made it to Platinum (lower threshold of 300,000), unlike both OSB & Absolutely.

These rarely come up, but I regret not bidding higher back in 2011, when on Ebay a "Dance Craze" gold disc went for £600 and a "I Just Can't Stop It" Silver disc went for £270, but I couldn't justify those prices at the time.

Another interesting fact is the TMTY Silver disc on display at the 2 Tone museum is the Silver middle not the paper label.

jason

Jan 13, 2022, 11:37:02 AM1/13/22
to 2-tone forum
Interesting items, but not personally something I would be wanting to add to my collection, not unless they are at a knockdown.

Do you have the BPI provenance to go with yours? And also do they have the names of the recipient?  Just curious to know who parted with their copy!!!

JUKESKA

Jan 13, 2022, 1:15:56 PM1/13/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
The Too Much Pressure, just says "Presented to 2 Tone Records". I bought it from Rock On Records, Camden in the early 90's which was close to A H Holt (British Boot Company), which I read somewhere, the upstairs was the London 2 Tone offices for a while (probably just a draw in a cabinet somewhere), so I always assumed a connection.

Gangsters was "Presented to The Damned for Management Training Services", I bought it off Rat Scabies with a letter of provenance.
It says it was presented to him by the then Specials manager Rick Rogers. Then states me as the new legal owner
"and would like to think that it's now going to someone who will genuinely share and appreciate it's history, provenance and sense of humour".
The humour being the idea that The Damned could offer any "Management Training Services" to anyone.

If I remember correctly, the "Dance Craze" was also "Presented to 2 Tone Records" and the "I Just Can't Stop It" was "Presented to Go Feet Records".

jason

Jan 14, 2022, 1:38:48 PM1/14/22
to 2-tone forum
I remember Rat Scabbies selling a lot of stuff on FeaBay.  He sold a white label of Gangsters which I presume also came into his possession via Rick Rogers.