Dance Craze box set

Matt Appleby

Nov 27, 2022, 11:12:23 AM11/27/22
to 2-tone forum
This probably deserves a thread of it’s own: Dance Craze is on Amazon and other sites as having a March 2023 release as a box set

Does anybody know anything about it?

jason

Nov 27, 2022, 3:32:15 PM11/27/22
to 2-tone forum
It does seem we're going to be treated the album as it should have been release in 1981, with all songs included.

George Curran

Nov 27, 2022, 3:38:43 PM11/27/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com, jason
It's advertised as 3 x CDs

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/2-tone-forum/1b113bf4-2a3c-4def-beb8-449cc134c01bn%40googlegroups.com
.

Paul Rodgers

Nov 27, 2022, 7:08:47 PM11/27/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

Yep. I have been gently helping Dermot from Chrysalis on it on and off for ages now. A lot more off than on. Not had wind of any release date yet. Had been sworn to secrecy. No idea if Amazon are right with the date.There was some talk of not just all the songs (as Jason said), but of alternate recordings as most songs were recorded more than once in different venues. Again I have no idea how this has progressed into reality, but it should be a much more immersive version than the original film and album.

I wonder where we are with the FB3 and Colour Field box sets? I have recently seen sleeve notes for the former, but again no release date. I was asked for my opinion on choices of TOTPs performances for the FB3 singles as many of them had more than one. I also had a hand in minor checking for single/album mixes. Hopefully some decent unreleased material will turn up on the FB3 one, not least because I have a totally unreleased/utterly different version of The Pressure of Life, which was going to be a single at one stage.

Pledge

On Sun, 27 Nov 2022 at 16:12, 'Matt Appleby' via 2-tone forum <2-tone...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
This probably deserves a thread of it’s own: Dance Craze is on Amazon and other sites as having a March 2023 release as a box set

Does anybody know anything about it?

Paul Rodgers

Nov 27, 2022, 7:10:39 PM11/27/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
George, I was under the impression that it would be some sort of combo with a DVD. Maybe 2 CDs and a DVD or 3 CDs and a DVD.

Pledge

jason

Nov 28, 2022, 6:56:46 AM11/28/22
to 2-tone forum
I think Amazon maybe jumping the gun on this.

George Curran

Dec 8, 2022, 8:46:25 AM12/8/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com, jason
Just saw this article. Apparently a Blu-ray / DVD release for the movie itself and then : "soundtrack of this very film, to be released through 2 Tone Records/Chrysalis Soundtracks and available as a Deluxe Edition 3LP vinyl and 3CD box set"

Paul Rodgers

Dec 8, 2022, 9:36:05 AM12/8/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
As far as I am aware that is still a leak. Dermot was really pissed off at it being out there last week, or the week before. I will ask Dermot if it is official now...

Side note, it's a bit shit that the picture of the Selecter is nothing to do with the band that appeared on Dance Craze!

Pledge

George Curran

Dec 8, 2022, 9:56:58 AM12/8/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com, Paul Rodgers
Yeah I had to look twice at that Selecter image - lazy "journalism" there for sure.

The forthcoming soundtrack release by  Chrysalis is possibly a "jumping the gun situation" in terms of release information.

I don't think the movie release is a leak though - as it's available for pre-order directly from the
BFI website. (It's the BFI who are the Publisher of the DVD and Blu-Ray.)

jason

Dec 8, 2022, 11:47:49 AM12/8/22
to 2-tone forum
The cat is well and truly out of the bag.

I don't know who or what is the source of this information is, but so far it's been accurate.  Whatever the source it's certainly an act of bad faith.   As Paul says there is still no official word from Chrysalis and having all this info appear is only adding the rumor mill.

I certainly wouldn't be placing an pre-orders at this stage.

Paul Rodgers

Dec 8, 2022, 12:12:50 PM12/8/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

I checked with Dermot. The BFI were allowed to announce it today. Or as Dermot put it "the BFI had to announce theirs today". With luck the audio versions will be announced tomorrow, with Chrysalis battling to get everything they need sorted to be able to do so. That is me paraphrasing Dermot.

The number of audio CDs and/or vinyl packages are definitely not meant to be out there yet, but clearly they are.

Pledge

George Curran

Dec 8, 2022, 1:34:29 PM12/8/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com, Paul Rodgers
I can't see any issues with pre-ordering the movie from the BFI, a very trustworthy charity.

I'm going to hold off on the soundtrack though until the content details are more solid. I'd prefer a 3xLP version over CD ,if the track listings are the same.

Matt Appleby

Dec 8, 2022, 1:52:41 PM12/8/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com, Paul Rodgers
Good news the BFI are involved. All legit and should help raise the profile.

I can understand concern over the leak if there are commercial issues still to resolve (recalling Madness, for example) but, if not, any advance publicity for a film which bombed 41 years ago might actually be a good thing …

Most importantly, looks like another thoughtful reissue

On 8 Dec 2022, at 18:34, 'George Curran' via 2-tone forum <2-tone...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I can't see any issues with pre-ordering the movie from the BFI, a very trustworthy charity.

jason

Dec 9, 2022, 4:57:19 AM12/9/22
to 2-tone forum
Didn't Bedders and Woody from Madness by a print of Dance Craze and then donated it to the BFI?

I wonder what the extras on the DVD will be?  The Ska Beats clips would be an obvious choice.

The Swinging Cats were recorded during the filming of Dance Craze presumably when the shared the bill with Bad Manners and The Bodysnatchers.   It would be great if that footage were to be found.

Gerald Wiley

Dec 9, 2022, 5:09:01 AM12/9/22
to 2-tone forum
Bedders and Chrissy Boy, I believe.

Hopefully included are the clips of Hey Little Rich Girl and Sock It To Em JB, which were recorded but not included in the film.

The Swinging Cats footage would be the most interesting for me.

Paul Rodgers

Dec 9, 2022, 9:00:21 AM12/9/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Keep your eyes peeled. The 2Tone store will go online some time this afternoon. I have seen previews of some of the prices.

That's official from Dermot at Chrysalis.

Oh and a certain Jerry Dammers listened to and approved the audio yesterday...

Pledge

George Curran

Dec 9, 2022, 9:04:13 AM12/9/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com, Paul Rodgers

Lee Morris

Dec 9, 2022, 9:17:40 AM12/9/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Nothing new then?

Paul Rodgers

Dec 9, 2022, 9:42:33 AM12/9/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
There's loads new there. Look at the details.

jason

Dec 9, 2022, 9:48:41 AM12/9/22
to 2-tone forum
As far as my old eyes can see it's the 27 tracks from the film ,plus the original LP.

George Curran

Dec 9, 2022, 9:54:38 AM12/9/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com, jason
Yes, that's it exactly Jason.
Two full additional LPs worth of live music from the movie itself.

Lee Morris

Dec 9, 2022, 9:55:31 AM12/9/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
That's what I thought. Nothing we haven't seen or heard before?

And I notice the obligatory incorrect song title in there as well! "Inner City Violence"? I seem to remember "The Albums" having a couple of incorrect song titles as well?

Message has been deleted

jason

Dec 9, 2022, 10:14:05 AM12/9/22
to 2-tone forum
It should have been a double LP back in '81, so it is good to see that wrong being righted after all these years.  There have been audio recordings from the VHS doing the rounds for years so it will interesting to hear what it  sounds  like after being remastered  and given that stereo remix thingy.

Nevie Colbert

Dec 9, 2022, 10:39:48 AM12/9/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Why are they so many duplicates though.
Seems a shame really.

Sent from my iPhone

On 9 Dec 2022, at 15:14, jason <ja...@2-tone.info> wrote:

It should have been a double LP back in '81, so it is good to see that wrong being righted after all these years.  There have been audio recordings from the VHS doing the rounds for years so it will interesting to hear what it  sounds  like after being remastered  and given that stereo remix thingy.

jason

Dec 9, 2022, 10:42:56 AM12/9/22
to 2-tone forum
The recordings of tracks on the original LP are not the same as those which were in the film.  This set contains both the recordings from the film plus the LP recordings, hence the duplicate tracks.

Nevie Colbert

Dec 9, 2022, 10:48:29 AM12/9/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
My bad. Only awake after night shift. I’ll still be getting the LP & CD box sets.
A nice hard back book wouldn’t of gone astray

Sent from my iPhone

On 9 Dec 2022, at 15:42, jason <ja...@2-tone.info> wrote:

The recordings of tracks on the original LP are not the same as those which were in the film.  This set contains both the recordings from the film plus the LP recordings, hence the duplicate tracks.

Paul Rodgers

Dec 9, 2022, 3:49:41 PM12/9/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Exactly, way back when I last had a VHS player or a shitey knock off DVD taken from an old VHS that was the only way to hear the other tracks, which was far from ideal.

Let's not forget the bluray/dvd will also have outtakes, so that will also garner stuff we've either not seen before or that was only available on other compilations that used the outtakes, that not all of us own.

I'm seriously happy with this.

Dermot also assures me that the incorrect titles were spotted on the artwork before the physical copies went to print. They may be wrong on the TM store, but he hopes to get that corrected too.

I've been proof reading the Fun Boy Three box set and found loads of mistakes, all of which will hopefully be remedied before that goes to print.

Back to Dance Craze, at the end of the day these are reasonably priced deluxe issues and for a change (compared to the EMI years) we will be getting loads of fresh stuff or stuff that we only have vague memories of.

Right from the start of this when Dermot was asking some of us if we knew which bits of the film and audio were filmed or recorded at which gigs he said he wanted to get as many of the duplicates on this package as possible. Whether I ever knew and had forgotten, or just never knew I was surprised when he told me the audio and the film sountracks weren't the same. I suppose age can do that to you (I mean me!).

Pledge

Lee Morris

Dec 9, 2022, 4:41:11 PM12/9/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Fair dos. I think we were spoiled by the Too Much Pressure release last year and none of the releases since have lived up to that.

Celebrate The Bullet did come close though.

I thought we might have seen the Swinging Cats footage or the recordings of Hey Little Rich Girl and Sock It To Em JB, which Paul Heskett says he was gutted didn't make the final cut all those years ago! Wishful thinking on my part, perhaps.

Michael Cowan

Dec 9, 2022, 5:06:04 PM12/9/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
A lot of thought has gone into the re-issuing of the catalogue to date, and it shows. The fact that Dance Craze is getting a blu ray release, dolby atmos sound mix, outtakes, and the poster is being reproduced for the vinyl and cd is just superb. I never thought we would see an official release, after all the issues with the rights.

Any word on a release date for FB3 box set?

jason

Dec 10, 2022, 7:28:17 AM12/10/22
to 2-tone forum

For years Dance Craze wasn’t available in it’s original format and now it’s coming at us left, right and centre which can’t be a bad thing. At first I thought it was a bit odd that the original album was included in this set, but now I see it makes perfect sense as this can now be viewed as the definitive sound track.

A few years ago Never Mind the Bollocks was re-issued as a replica of the very first pressing, complete with one side 7” and  poster. However, the poster was deliberately  re-printed in a slightly smaller size to stop people attempting to pass it off as an original.  Given that original  copies of Dance Craze complete with poster can sell for over £100 I hope that there is a way to distinguish between the originals and this 2023 print.

Yes it would be nice to have some unreleased stuff, but sourcing it, not to mention  legal/copyright issues, probably made it a non-starter.

Matt Appleby

Dec 12, 2022, 10:25:15 AM12/12/22
to 2-tone forum
There are various product/price combinations on the 2 Tone store (the vinyl isn't seemingly listed individually at the moment). Has anybody worked out the cheapest combination if you order everything?

Having waited this long, I'm in for the lot!

George Curran

Dec 12, 2022, 11:00:25 AM12/12/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
The vinyl is there at €48.41.
The CD's are €24.71.
If buying both together (better value) at €64.88

On Mon, 12 Dec 2022 at 15:25, 'Matt Appleby' via 2-tone forum

Paul Rodgers

Dec 12, 2022, 11:11:31 AM12/12/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean to get the new vinyl for the soundtrack only, not the original album as well?

The bundles look quite good as per George's reply.

When I can afford it I will likely order the CDs, the Blu-ray, and the vinyl. Not sure re the t shirt and tote bags.

My newly extended Visa credit limit is going to get thrashed!

Pledge

miap...@icloud.com

Dec 12, 2022, 11:16:01 AM12/12/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Website has just updated so I can now see the vinyl

I would buy it all (CD, vinyl, Blu-ray, t-shirt, tote bag) but the bundles differ and there isn’t one for the lot

I am firmly in the camp that this is a great reissue, btw

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "2-tone forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/2-tone-forum/CAKxfwB%2BNeNUQKi89_HX9bgN7KkbDiFTY-FD0Zjm8ZVD-4oMyfw%40mail.gmail.com.

Nevie Colbert

Dec 12, 2022, 11:34:41 AM12/12/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
I’ve ordered the LPs & the CDs plus the dvd for €105 delivered

Sent from my iPhone

On 12 Dec 2022, at 16:16, miappleby via 2-tone forum <2-tone...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Website has just updated so I can now see the vinyl

Paul Rodgers

Dec 12, 2022, 12:26:29 PM12/12/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

I will feedback to Dermot that there should be a bundle for the lot. Would you want all three tote bags? And both tees?

I would be tempted by that if the value was right.

Pledge

miap...@icloud.com

Dec 12, 2022, 1:24:17 PM12/12/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Pledge

I would ideally want one of each product - so video, vinyl, CD, a t-shirt and a tote bag but any bundle that includes all would be of interest

Paul Rodgers

Dec 12, 2022, 2:51:07 PM12/12/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

I've passed your comments on. And mine.

They sold over 1,000 items over the weekend! Looks like a lot of people have been wanting this for ages....

Pledge

JUKESKA

Dec 13, 2022, 7:57:15 AM12/13/22
to 2-tone forum
I noticed the link    https://twotone.tmstor.es/     is a Spanish site.
Will there be import tax on cost & shipping?

George Curran

Dec 13, 2022, 8:14:26 AM12/13/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com, JUKESKA

Jon Russell

Dec 14, 2022, 9:54:16 AM12/14/22
to 2-tone forum
Capture.PNG

Domain is actually registered and hosted in Ireland. They just use .es as it spells out stores for "Townsend Music Stores"

I notice the unsold Record Store day releases have started appearing on there now as well.

JUKESKA

Jan 8, 2023, 4:17:09 AM1/8/23
to 2-tone forum
Unless I'm reading it wrong, you get exactly the same output (27 soundtrack & 14 track original + poster) for the CD & the Vinyl releases?

jason

Jan 9, 2023, 4:04:22 AM1/9/23
to 2-tone forum
That's what it says on the site.  The CD set is the same as the triple vinyl.  Although I presume the poster is a scaled down version for the CD set.

Matt Appleby

Jan 26, 2023, 6:43:13 AM1/26/23
to 2-tone forum
Dance Craze premiere announced for the BFI IMAX on the South Bank, London on Weds 22 March. Includes Q&A (not sure who with). Tickets available from BFI IMAX website.

Matt Appleby

Jan 27, 2023, 9:50:35 AM1/27/23
to 2-tone forum
Also, for those looking to buy all five items (CD/LP/DVD/Tee/Tote) from the official 2 Tone store, the cheapest combination would appear to be: LP/Tee £54 + CD/Tote £28.99 + DVD £16.99 = £99.98. Saves a princely £9 versus buying all individually for £108.98

I have wasted 20 minutes of my life I won't get back working that out so I hope it's correct ... :)

jason

Jan 30, 2023, 10:22:59 AM1/30/23
to 2-tone forum
My credit card has taken a bad enough kicking with the LP and CDs, so I will give the other items a miss.  Thanks all the same for working those deals out though!!!

By the way does anyone know if those clips advertising the BFI premiere are the remasters version?  I would presume they are.

jr.jon...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2023, 11:07:33 AM1/30/23
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com

They certainly look remastered. Distinctly better quality than my 40 Year old VHS rip anyway…

Looking forward to the Premier at the IMAX. Any news on which (if any) 2Tone Luminaries are going to be to be in attendance? Any pre or after parties scheduled anywhere in Town that night?

When I last saw this at the cinema as a 12 year old at the long since boarded up Dudley Odeon we were allowed to go and dance in front of the screen. This was the first and, so far, only time I’ve ever danced at the cinema. I wonder if the IMAX ushers will be quite so accommodating? 😊

On Sunday, 8 January 2023 at 09:17:09 UTC jukes...@gmail.com wrote:

Unless I'm reading it wrong, you get exactly the same output (27 soundtrack & 14 track original + poster) for the CD & the Vinyl releases?

On Wednesday, 14 December 2022 at 14:54:16 UTC jr.jon...@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks Pledge

Nothing new then?

jason

Jan 30, 2023, 11:19:12 AM1/30/23
to 2-tone forum
What I noticed was the faces of those in the audience were much more clear.

If anyone at our age can still for any length of time, then get yourself right up there to the front of the audience.