2Tone Dissertation Research Help

juliad...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2021, 5:48:09 AM2/7/21
to 2-tone forum

Hello all!

My name is Julia Dowden, I am a BA Geography student in my third year at Durham University. I am currently undertaking research for my dissertation titled “How did the urban environment shape the cultural and identity politics of the two-tone ska movement?” and am interested in exploring how the urban has been represented in ska music, photography and media.

As part of my research, I am looking to gather resources, including magazines, memorabilia, photographs and other media forms, all centred around the representation of two-tone to explore what can be learned by examining its historical urban geography. I intend to analyse these materials, through discourse analysis, to explore how difference (race, class, gender) is represented in the visual culture of two-tone ska and the importance of this in the context of discussions of the urban environment.

I am also looking for participants for short, hour long interviews about their personal experiences of 2Tone and would be grateful for any recommendations surrounding the topic.

If you may be interested,  please do get in contact. My email address is julia....@durham.ac.uk

I look forward to hearing from you.

Julia

George Curran